Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Why does my 2006 Mitsubishi fuso diesel engine over heat

Customer Question
why does my 2006 Mitsubishi fuso diesel engine over heat
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/7/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

As a very first check make sure the coolant level is correct / up to the mark on the tank, then I'd first check that the radiator cooling fan is coming on as it should and if thats OK then replace the thermostat in the engine.

Whilst the thermostat is being replaced you might as well also reverse flush the cooling circuit (remove top hose to rad and use a hosepipe to push water into the engine until you get clear water out of the radiator hose) and top up with 30-50% fresh antifreeze. Also check that the small diameter bleed hoses that run from the top of the radiator and the top of the engine aren't blocked as this allow the air to vent back to the header tank automatically.

Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)

I'd also suggest ensuring that you've got all the air out of the system as this sort of episode can leave pockets of air trapped and prevent the coolant from circulating properly.

So check that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked

If these are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from cold with the heater set to full hot

As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to help displace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built into the top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water

Once the engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool

Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It started when the water pump went. So we changed the water pump and a week later it overheated again. We took of the cylinder head and had it cut. We replaced the head gasket and it still overheated. We then replaced the radiator with a brand new one and changed the thermostat. Now when it warms up pressure starts to build on the top hose and fluid starts to bubble out till radiator emptys

hello

this sounds like there's still a source of combustion pressure into the water jacket, so possibly a cracked block or cylinder head

I'd say the next thing to try is one of the chemical sealents as they have come a long way in recent years

http://www.kseal.com/uk/?gclid=CMquhMSnsNECFUHhGwodQT8KIA

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

350matt
350matt
350matt, Engineer