Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

I have a 2004Mitsubishi Montero Limited. The dome lights

Customer Question
come on when I am...
I have a 2004Mitsubishi Montero Limited. The dome lights come on when I am driving..
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: No
JA: What year is your Montero?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you fixing your Montero yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Reseated the fuses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car alarm goes off intermittently for no reseason.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/4/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The alarm going off and dome lights coming on are likely related. These problems are both most likely being caused by a door ajar signal being seen. The problem could be wiring or a door that isn't closing properly but the most likely cause for this would be a bad door ajar switch. The issue could be at any door and it would require some electrical testing at the time the problems are happening to determine what is going on, but the driver's door would be the most likely to cause this.

I thought that also, but when the dome light comes on the door open indicator on the dashboard does not show an open door.
Is there a relay for the interior lights?
Where is the fuse for the interior lights? I suspect it is near the steering wheel but they are not marked.

There isn't a relay.

Fuse 18 in the relay box under the hood is for the dome lamps.

That fuse had a yellow cover and when pulled turned off headlights and door locks.
the dome lights.
There are two fuse, one had a light sign and the other had a musical note sign on the fuse box cover.

Removing it didn't turn off the dome lamps?

It did but it also turned off the headlights and door locks.

That's the correct fuse then.

Is there a way to isolate just the interior lights to test if that is causing the alarm to go off ?

The lights aren't causing the alarm to go off. The alarm goes off when it sees a door go ajar without the system being disarmed.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician