peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

2008 Lancer, inline 4 engine. Shop left air filter box

Customer Question

2008 Lancer, inline 4 engine.
Shop left air filter box disconnected for many services, noticed a rapid increase in engine burning oil, I am guessing from internal engine wear (maybe due to unfiltered air). Anyways, I had code for egr, I replaced egr with dealer part, car still hesitants and code still returns. I believe the pipe from egr to exhaust manifold is clogged with carbon (I was able to get out some of the carbon when I changed the egr), but I want to remove the intake and anything else in the way so I can get to this pipe and clean it out really good. I need procedure on how to remove intake and anything else that will be in the way to clean this pipe. Any other tips?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

Unfortunately my info isnt showing what needs removed to access this pipe to remove it.Usually I look at all of the components in the way and remove them one at a time to then access and remove the pipe to then clean it through.I have used liquid brake clean and a wire coat hanger to clean out the pipe once the pipe is removed.

As for the engine burning oil it is possible debris like sand or dirt made it into the engine damaging the piston oil rings in the engine as this can occur with lack of air filtering into the engine.Unfortunately it may be difficult to get the facility that left this off or loose to help with or pay for the repairs as you would have to have someone take apart your engine and say for sure that yes they did cause this then be a witness to this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you , I will leave 5 stars, but can I please get instructions on removing intake manifold, I think I can access that pipe if I take off intake...

Your welcome

Below are instructions I have located on removing and installing the intake manifold on this engine here.Unfortunately this is all of the info I show on this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tp9ouuj4ymga28x/i-01-03.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jib0pgn122lb1be/in-01-03.gif?dl=0

REMOVAL SERVICE POINT

[[A]] POWER STEERING OIL PUMP ASSEMBLY REMOVAL
1. With the hose installed, remove the power steering oil pump assembly from the bracket.
2. Tie the removed power steering oil pump assembly with a string at a position where it will not interfere with the removal and installation of the intake manifold.

INSTALLATION SERVICE POINTS

]]A[[ SCREW INSTALLATION

CAUTION: Do not over-tighten. As the self-forming-type screw is used, the excessive torque can damage the intake manifold threads.

]]B[[ MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOR INSTALLATION

CAUTION:
- Install the manifold absolute pressure sensor, taking care that no shock is applied to it.
- Do not use a manifold absolute pressure sensor that has been dropped.

]]C[[ INTAKE MANIFOLD/INJECTOR PROTECTOR FRONT INSTALLATION
Install the intake manifold and the injector protector front, and tighten mounting bolts and nuts temporarily.

NOTE: The tightening of the fuel rail assembly, the intake manifold and the injector protector front has the specified order. Temporarily tighten the intake manifold and injector protector front mounting bolts and nuts (Refer to MFI - Injector).

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete