Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I lost key to 2012 Galant I have a blank that needs to be

Customer Question

I lost key to 2012 Galant I have a blank that needs to be cut and programmed do I have to go to the dealer for the cut and program
JA: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?
Customer: No only that one key
JA: Are you fixing your Galant yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried anything. I was looking into a locksmith to do the key but I was it was a dealer chip key needed a set of numbers to program
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I can't get codes from dealer is the numbers they need available anywhere on my car
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Pretty much anyone can cut the key to match yours but to get it to start the car you will need to have it programmed.

Do-It-Yourself programming is not available for this vehicle. This vehicle requires a diagnostic scan tool to be connected to the vehicle to program the key. You will need to find a local automotive locksmith or a dealer to program it. I would probably go with the locksmith as it will be much cheaper.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know but when I contact a locksmith they said it was Oem number and I believe another number is there anywhere on the vehicle that these numbers can be found or is it exclusively dealer information only
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Are you sure they aren't referring to the key cut code? If you don't have a key to copy then you will need a key cut code- only the dealership can get that for you and they usually want to see proof of ownership before they will give it to you- a title, or registration in your name.

Other than that a locksmith shouldn't need any other codes to program the key.

Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

You don't have a key to copy?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No key to copy the entire transponder was lost
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Oh yeah. That's bummer. Only the dealer can get you that key cut code. They are very protective of them.