FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

The ac compressor has failed 5 times in a year and a half.

Customer Question

The ac compressor has failed 5 times in a year and a half. The dealer keeps putting a new ac compressor in...months later it seizes again Nd my car wont run
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: No. Each time it seizes the car wont run..i bring it to shop...they replace the compressor then 3 to 6 months later it goes bad again
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2007 galant es
JA: Are you fixing your Galant yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No im not..i return it to dealer and the dealers service center just keeps replacing compressor. 5th compressor in a year and a half. Im telling them something else is causing it..they just keeo saying faulty compressor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  FixItMan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** only reason why this many compressors would have seized would be if the system was not flushed correctly. If they had flushed the system and this still occurs then the vehicle more than likely needs a new condenser. Debris gets stuck in the condenser and over time pieces come out causing the compressor to fail. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The shop where i bought the car says they generally would not flush the system when changing ac compressor, and that they did not flush system, just keep replacing compressor. They said the problem is right at the bearings of the compressor and its just a coincidence that brand new compressors must be defective and thats the only reason its failed four times in a year and a half. I agree with you that something else is causing the problem. Theres no way that four compressors just happened to go bad. I bought the car in april of 2015...in june compressor seized. They replaced it..then again in August 2015 it seized....they replaced...then again in october 2015 it seized..they replaced it..now november 2016. It seized again. Literally smoking and bearing melting. Not once have they ever flushed the system. They just take the old compressor out snd put a new one in,and say your car is ready. Months later...seizes again.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Everytime they replace comoressor the ac blows cold air for about a week then back warm air.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 9 months ago.

They must be assuming that if it is an exterior failure then there is no reason to flush the system. It is possible that there is an alignment issue with the compressor or that the belt tensioner is too tight, but the system needs to be flushed. Just a small amount of contamination will cause this also.