sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Wont start no fuel or spark, No i bought it and it didnt run

Customer Question

Wont start no fuel or spark
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No i bought it and it didnt run it was missing the engine relay i changed it and it ran good for a day and now again no start
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2002 montero sport
JA: Are you fixing your Montero Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Crank sensor also someone had a zip tie on the fuel pump relay it does not come on with out it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're missing both fuel pump operation and spark then there is a good chance the engine controller is not awake either due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground. It's going to take some testing to determine what you have going on.

Do you have a scan tool to check for ECM communication?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so when it ran the scan tool work and now it won't link up and it's getting spark but nothing to fuel injectors

If the scan tool doesn't communicate and there is no fuel pump operation then there is little chance you have spark. You checked all three of these things at exactly the same time?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
starts with starting fluid but no power to fuel injectors and have a zip tie on relays so the fuel pump to run I'm thinking the ecm is out or bad wire or ground someware

So you haven't physically checked for spark then?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It starts with starting fluid so there is spark just no fuel I changed relays and didn't make a difference

Starting fluid compression ignites and cannot be used as a substitute for checking spark.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so your right no spark either

Have fuses been checked?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
fuses all look good I'm looking for any bad grounds now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm also going to try to unplug .ecu and try to reset it
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think the ecu is losing conection or it's just bad

If fuses are good then the next step will be to test the ECM power and ground feeds to determine whether the issue is an internal failure or a wiring/power distribution issue.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok but what wires are what on this??

I'm a full time tech and away from my service information until this evening, I can reply with the wire colors then.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks

Can you post the VIN?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi so I sent ecu in and everything checked out to be ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Vin# *****
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Were the powers and grounds tested?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just the unit it self was I sent it out to be checked I'm not sure what wires to check on car I can't find wire diagram for it

With the connector lock tab up and facing the terminal end of the connector pin 1 is the top left and they count left to right. Pins 41, 47, and 98 should have power with the key on.

Pins 42 and 48 are grounds.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok so only got power on 98 nothing on the other ones and no grounds there so what next ? There is no check engine light and still not linking up with scanner?

That would indicate several problems present at the same time which is highly unlikely.

What are you using to test with and how?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Multimeter with key on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked every ground wire I to the body I could find and all test good
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Like I said it was towed to garage from no start I towed it home and it started up ran very nice I drove it around about 5 miles and the next day I checked it and started right up then the next day it has not ran again for a month now
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could it be in the ignition?

I need to know exactly how testing was done to determine why results were not valid. I need to know meter settings, lead placement and exact readings. An incandescent test light should be used to test power and ground feeds in any event.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok so with light tester with jump wire from positive from battery I got ground on 41 42 47 48 then tryed jump wire from negative from battery and got nothing
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Correction I got nothing from 48
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I used this

I thought you were working on a Montero?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that's all I can find so I pluged everything back in cracked over and it started for just a couple seconds and quit but won't do it again and that was with squizing the fuel pump relay it won't come on by its self and I've tried different relays

To test power feeds you need to have he test light alligator clip connected to battery negative, to test a power feed you'd connect to battery positive.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm getting closer I have the caps off the fuel pump relay and injector relay and if I touch them together it starts and runs fine if I pull them apart it dies it looks like no power going to one of them so ware to go from there??

So a scan tool does actually communicate then? if it will run then the engine controller is operating.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Only links up if relays are touching each other

What specifically are you touching together?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The sides of the relays without the caps on it so I'm not sure if it's passing ground threw or positive I'm done for the night let me know if you have any ideas

Can you upload a picture showing exactly what you're doing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't get picture to upload but testing the relays the red positive wire to injector relay has no power if I jump power to it it kicks everything on and runs so why is it not geting power?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Supplying power to the injector relay trigers the fuel pump relay
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can't trace the source of where the power should come from

I'm a full time tech and at work this morning, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks

I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok more progress I found there is no power to 41 47 on pcm so if I jump power to there it runs so is it in the ignition? I'll keep looking

I'll get back tl you as quickly as I can.

Do two terminals at the MFI relay have power?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No nothing

In the power distribution center under the hood locate fusible link 2. Swap it with a known good fuse and see if you then have power at the relay.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok swapped them around tested them all with light tester and still no power to mfi

Is there power at the fuse?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
all fuses have power flowing through them so I'm lost here

If there is power at the fuse and the fuse is not blown yet there is no power at the relay then there is an open circuit in the wiring in between.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
exactly what fuse am I following and should it run straight to the computer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there a relay that goes to the computer

You're concerned with the lack of power from fusible link 2, the fuse you just said you tested for power at which we've been discussing, to the MFI relay.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok so the fuse for the mfi is also fuse that powers the computer

Yes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks when I get home I'll look further into it

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there anyway you can send me a pic of fusable link 2 I think I'm looking at the wrong one
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I run a new wire to it with in line fuse and call it good

I'm unable to post material directly from the service information due to copyright.

Yes, you could run a new wire with an inline fuse if you'd rather do that.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
looking into it further I un bolted the fuse box and found the previous owner had cut the wire to the fuse and ran another wire from the ignition to a separate relay to the battery and I tested it at the ignition and there is no power there when I turn the key on

You're going to need to either determine what is wrong with the installed modifications or do away with it and wire it up yourself as intended.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried that I tested an ignition wire that came on with the key so I spliced it in there then I started it and ran good then shut it off then restarted it again and let it run couple mins and shut it off an it kept running and would not shut off so I unplugged the ignition and still kept running so I had to pull the relay to get it to quit

If it won't shut off with the key then something isn't wired correctly and the circuit isn't powering down.