Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Just bought this non running, No fire and a Dead batter so

Customer Question
no codes. It was running 2...
just bought this non running, No fire and a Dead batter so no codes.
It was running 2 days ago. My question is I imagine its the Crank Sensor, I picked one up and then discovered its buried behind the timing cover. So before I spend a day tearing it apart I need to know if there is any test I can run. I do have access to an older Snap on scantool MTG2500 but since it has been setting with a dead battery there are no codes. What do you suggest?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
10/20/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago
Joshua Haynes

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

ok

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

There is a simple test that you can run using the snap on scan tool...just pull up the PID for the rpm and see if it will move when you are cranking it over. If it does not, then chances are that you have a bad crank sensor. If so, you are looking at something else and will need to continue troubleshooting.

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

There is also a relatively common problem with these engines wherein the timing belt will begin to fray and hit the crankshaft position sensor. This will usually set a code even after cranking for only a few seconds but it does not always. If this is the case, you will see clear evidence of it as soon as you pull the timing cover off. Good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I havent figured out how to check the PID for the rpm yet , I just bought this scan tool from ebay. I was using my friends newer model and it was much nicer and qucker.

Here is what I did discover, we disconnected the CrankSensor cranked it over a few times , then rescanned it, now it reads crank shaft sensor failure.

So that tells me the problem may not be the CS?

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

It may indicate that, yes. I would try to figure out how to read the pid for the rpm first, though. Another thing to check would be the rpm gauge on the cluster, if there is one. If it is reading rpm with the sensor plugged in, then you are likely not looking at a c.s. sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Ok, we just figured it out, It is reading 113 rpms during cranking. Not sure what else we should check.

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

It's good news that you don't necessarily have to disassemble the timing cover, but not that we are still unsure of the problem...The very first things to check are fire and fuel. I would first start by checking to see if there is fuel pressure. There should be a schrader valve on the fuel rail (very similar to the valve stem on your tire) that you can simply depress with a screw driver and check for fuel spray.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

No fuel or fire, checking relays again.

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

Gotcha, it sounds like you have an electrical concern for sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Found the problem

got it running but its not running good. took off down the road for a test drive and the further we went the worse it ran. maybe has a clogged Cat. not sure

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

That's great news, buddy! I'm glad that you found the issue. I would revisit ignition quality before condemning the catalytic converter, but it is possible that if the vehicle was running bad before you bought it that they may have flooded the cat with raw fuel. If that is the case, it is possible that it may improve if you run a fuel system cleaning through it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

It looks like its only firing on 2 of 6 . The center two wires are the only ones firing, in fact it will not start if those are unplugged but will start if all 4 of the out side wires are unplugged.

I assume we are looking at 2 bad coil packs? Anything else I should look at?

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

If it is running only on 2 and 6, then you would have to have all bad coils...the diagram in the middle indicates that those run off of two different coils (each pair of posts on the pack are indicative of a single coil to those cylinders). I would check for spark output from each coil tower individually using an *incandescent* test light (not led) connected to ground while someone spins over the engine and watch how far the spark jumps (if at all). Then, I would suggest checking the resistance of the injectors individually by disconnecting the injector connectors and with the key off reading the resistance in ohms between each terminal; the reading should be approx. 16 ohms.

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

Have you had a chance to run the tests I have suggested?

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi, this is Josh checking in to see if you have made any progress or if you have any questions. Let me know if I can further assist you. I also want to remind you to please take a moment to rate my service! Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

We changed all spark plugs and those 2 coil packs.

It's better but not fixed. I'm thinking it has one pr more clogged Cats. Monday we are going to remove the upstream O2 sensors and see if it has more power.

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

That sounds like a great idea. Let me know how it goes!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Ran it the O2 removed and no change.

Tested the new coil packs and And we are not getting a pulsating ground on the outside coil s. We do however get a pulsating ground on the center coil . Even if we move them around, putting an outside coil to the inside, we still only get the pulsating ground to the middle?

Not sure where to go from here. Its running on two cylinders with no power

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

is it possible that I received a bad Ignition control modual from the parts house? Do you know how I can test it?

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

It is certainly possible. I have been pondering how to proceed from here...I would suggest taking it to O-reilly's as they are the only parts place that I know of that can test ignition control modules.

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

Also you should make sure that all the wiring to the connector of the icm is working properly.

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

check all the pins for looseness and corrosion

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

This is a brand new unit. they are all good

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

Just to clarify, I am talking about the pins on the harness side, not the icm side, but if they are good that's great. Consider having oreillys test the module (they do this for free).

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

The engine was not running before the icm replacement and has now began to run but only on a few cylinders, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Correct, had no fuel or fire. If you have a computer or smart phone that plays youtube videos, I have made a short informative video to help explain whats going on.

Please Watch https://youtu.be/DEwhKkWVsDE

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 1 year ago

I will check it out when I get out of work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Are you not able to view YouTube videos?

Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes