Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Car won't start or run when it is hot (>160F). Checked fuel

Customer Question
Car won't start or run...
Car won't start or run when it is hot (>160F). Checked fuel line and it appeared there was vapor in it. Fuel pump was inspected and seems fine. Heated the relays with a heat gun while engine was cool and it starts fine so don't think it is relays (fuse box etc.). Cam sensor was just replaced. AMF sensor was just clean and working. Throttle body cleaned too.
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: haven't filled it foe a while, cause I can't make it to a station. Added a few gallons to make sure it had a ample amount but it is pretty low (1/4). No smell.
JA: What year is your Station?
Customer: 6 miles. It tends to make it about 3-5 miles before getting to hot to run. Then I wait 30-60 mins) to cool and it start back up to drive a few miles.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just diag. Was hoping to fix it if it was just a pump or relay. Seems like it is not though.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have a water leak, loosing coolant (water), below where the fuel line enters the engine. I though it could cause it to heat the fuel line. But it appears low enough to be unrelated. Thought he should know just in case.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
8/28/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. if everything is ok and tune up done recently what your experiencing is what they call heat soaking , this is usually caused by a low grade of fuel or one used in winter driving, it's the boiling of fuel it extra hot conditions and creates vapor locks in the fuel systems. you can counter act this by using a good octane booster or going up in octane fuel .Hope this helps your decision and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician