Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I don't know what's going on with my car. My friend said my

Customer Question

I don't know what's going on with my car. My friend said my engine gone. I really don't believe him. I turn the key it sounds but it want crank. All lights come on he tried to jump it then o crunk it then my motor started shaking bad. I need help PLEASE!
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. When you last turned the engine off was every thing running ok no noises running normal? how is the oil/ IS YOUR BATTERY CHARGE OK?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the battery is okay and oil is fine. My car been down since Tuesday night on my way to work it put me down that night. I believe I smelled gas then it started slowing down and jerked twice then cut off. My friend towed it home
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When it got to my house it didn't do anything till the next day. My friend tried to jump it and when I turned the key my motor started jumping so I got scared and turned it back off my friend tried it again and same thing happened

How many miles are on this vehicle. I'll check a couple thigs and get back to you in the nean time can you pull a couple spark plugs and tell me what you see.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
About 17 thousands and somthing miles. Yes I replaced them today
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Spark plugs were worn out

just 17000 miles on a 2003? wow don't drive much eh? what do you mean jumping describe .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Naw 17 hundred thousand miles.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Jumped it meaning he tried charing my battery it didn't work. While his jumper cables was on my battery charging I tried cranking it and it still didn't start up my motor and stuff just jump really hard

SO IN OTHER WORDS IT DIDN'T TURN OVER SMOOTHLY DID IT ACT LIKE IT TRIED TO FIRE ON A COUPLE CYLINDERS?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it didn't. The motor just shook really hard

Well that engine has a timing belt in it have you ever had the timing belt checked or replaced? because even at that mileage because of it's age can crack and jump teeth throwing the timing out. and if that happens depending if it is an interference or none interference engine can damage the valves. not necessarily damaged the whole engine. So sorry to say that's what you have to do is check the timing and see if it jumped and damaged any thing. Hope this gives you an idea what to do next. If you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay I will check that tomorrow morning thank you so much

cheers

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will you be available in am around 11

if not just leave a mess it will hold it on here for me