sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My car temp gauge goes past middle when I drive above

Customer Question

Hi Doug, my car temp gauge goes past middle when I drive above 2000rpms for like 10mins. When I drive below 2000rpms the temp gauge goes back to normal position. What might be the problem
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have changed the radiator cap, gasket and thermostat
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the problem only happens under higher loads, the system is staying full with no leaks, then the issue is going to be radiator related. It's possible you could have debris blocking airflow from the outside but odds are there are cores that have become restricted internally. This will effectively reduce the capacity of the radiator and it won't keep up with cooling demand under higher loads. The radiator will almost surely need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have it replaced and update in case it doesn't change.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Sprinkles8, I have ordered for the radiator since it is not in my market at present. I have noticed in the last 3 days, the overflow tank gets almost full after driving for 20miles. Which means I have to keep emptying it. Will replacement of the radiator address the same or there is something else I have to do on the cooling system.
It may be pushing coolant into the reservoir from the overheating or it could be doing so because there is a combustion leak into the cooling system.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Today I decided to clean the radiator and replace the coolant, went for a 30mile drive under heavy load, I noticed the coolant in the reservoir tank increased by a smaller margin, I presume this is normal. Based on this I am a little bit confused what might be the problem.

The level will rise and fall during operation because of temperature differences and expansion.