Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 2011 outlander sport is whining when driving, not on

Customer Question

My 2011 outlander sport is whining when driving, not on startup and higher tone at higher speed. One mechanic believes that it may be the start of losing lower gears in the aoutomatic transmission. Does this sound right?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, there are a couple of possible causes - gears in the transmission or the bearings in the differential that the front cv shafts go through. This is easy enough for a shop to diagnose which. Put up on a lift with someone in the vehicle, crank engine and put in gear. Accelerate it as another tech listens at the differential where the shafts go thru with a mechanic's stethoscope and do the same at the transmission. At whichever the noise is amplified thru the stethoscope, that is the culprit.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?