john aka eauto
john aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years ase certified
6149662

The guys at the parts store said my yellow check enginelight

Customer Question

The guys at the parts store said my yellow check enginelight wouldn't read any codes on my 2.4l 2002 galant
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: Stays on and I just bought the vehicle and it was on when I bought it
JA: What is the model of your '02 Mitsubishi?
Customer: Galant es
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I cleaned the oxygen sensor with a wire brush and was hoping to diy it unless it's a cat
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

did the scan tool not power up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Said the oxygen sensor was arching so the tool wouldn't read
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tool powered up

what came across the display?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He didn't say

o2 sensor arching would not interrupt reading codes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info

hope yOU can rate me 5 star

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure