Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

My 2004 Mitsubishi Galant starts to stall sometimes at stop

Customer Question
lights, or when it is...
My 2004 Mitsubishi Galant starts to stall sometimes at stop lights, or when it is raining.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hopin to fix myself, and i had a friend look at it. I've checked the coolant level. And I'm going to put in fuel injector cleaner
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My srs light is on. And the check engine light doesnt come on when i start my car
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
7/3/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Did anything noteworthy happen prior to this condition forming? For example any repairs, maintenance, battery replacement, etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My brother tried to see if any of my fuses were bad. We bought it used/as is.

Thanks.

Are you comfortable making an inspection of the throttle body interior? This will require removing the air intake ductwork.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not alone. I dont wanna ruin it more

I understand.

My concern here is that the #1 cause for stalling at stop lights and at low speeds etc on this model is a dirty throttle. It is painfully neglected as most people do not realize they need to be cleaned frequently. Not knowing the history of the vehicle since it was just purchased used, the odds of it being dirty are really high.

Are there any other symptoms you can think of that might add more insight to the situation? Is the Service Engine light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The service engine light doesnt come on. When my brother gets home, I'll have him look at the throttle for me.

Thanks.

When you are able, lets do that. There is just a 10mm hose clamp on either end of the duct and a small rubber hose to slide off, and for an 04 there is likely a third clamp on the plastic baffle you can loosen with a flat edge screw driver..
Once you have the duct set aside, make sure the key is OFF, then use fingers to pull open the throttle plate while looking in with a flash light. We want to see it spotless inside, nothing but silver. If there is a brown or black build up, use brake cleaner or another evaporating solvent to soak a rag and wipe it out. If there are hard deposits do not spray inside the throttle. Use a scotch brite pad or wire brush etc to loosen them, then wipe it out again.

When it is spotless all the way around the sealing area inside where the plate closes, reinstall the duct work. Turn the key to On, wait 5-6 seconds, then turn it off. Repeat that three times. Then test drive.
Let me know how it goes; I will be here off and on throughout the evening.

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician