Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Where is the immobilizer on 2002 galant mitsubishi, my car

Customer Question
hi, where is the immobilizer...
hi, where is the immobilizer on 2002 galant mitsubishi
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my car cranks , but no spark, and i have code p0513
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: yes i did
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: yes, i had a broken balancer belt, i replaced it and replaced the crankshaft sensor, it was broken as well, after that i started the engine, there was fuel , but no ignition, i checked everything, i bypassed the ignition and ran the engine, and found the pcm is bad, then replaced the pcm with the same pcm, (same number) after that i have code p0513
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
7/2/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

The immobilizer ecu is located behind and below the radio/ac controls area. It is the small black plastic box mounted to the dash support beam (not the metal silver box).

When you replaced the PCM, did you get it from a local yard or online?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks for responding. i got the pcm from a store. they only remanifacture pcm.s
it has 1 year warranty

No problem.

In this case you are going to have to get the vehicle to a dealership or someone with a compatible key programmer to re-register your keys.

The reason you are getting that code is due to the immobilizer ecu not matching the PCM. When these are installed the keys get re-registered since the key data that allows the engine to run is stored inside the PCM. In the process, the PCM is paired to the immobilizer ecu.
If you try to operate the vehicle with a PCM and immobilizer ecu that do not match, you will get the immobilizer fault.

I asked about the source since if it was from a junkyard you could retrieve the matching immobilizer ecu and keys and skip the key registration process, but in this instance where it is a reman unit of course the PCM is no longer paired nor does it have any key data to save.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well, i had a re programmer guy today, he came here and reprogrammed it, in his computer, it showed both keys are reprogrammed, but after i tried to start the engine, it was the same , and i scanned the car and had the same p0513 code again, he tried 4 times and the code was still there.

Odds are they were not using a compatible programmer. This is a problem with locksmiths using grey market equipment that is a clone of the factory hardware; they sell these units that are literally copies of the factory software, but they do not realize Mitsubishi uses an external encryption box so their copied tools just write erroneous information to the PCM.
To date, the only third party tools I have found that works on this era Mitsubishi is the SBB tool, which is a counterfeit unit and not exactly something most people want to be caught with. The common tools most locksmiths use.... Autels, Launches, MVPs, etc are not compatible with this model.

If the PCM is good and the immobilizer ecu was fine before the swap, you need to get it to a dealer for proper registration.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you mean i should toe the car to the dealer ship?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or should i change the immobilizer ecu first?

It would be the best course of action, as it is the only way to be sure that the key is registered correctly.

If the vehicle operated fine prior to the timing belt issue and the damage to the PCM issue, there is no reason to suspect the immobilizer ecu needs to be changed at all. The immobilizer ecu will not work in a situation like this where you have swapped the PCM until the key is properly registered.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, i am sure , timing is correct, like i said before, i started the engine with the old damaged pcm, by bypassing the probe 3 times and i was running very well,

Yep, that means your crank sensor is working fine, you just need the keys registered correctly so that the PCM and ecu can get along.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you believe it is the only issue ?

If the engine ran with modification on the old damaged PCM, then the new PCM should have fixed the issue... it just isn't registered properly with the keys. While I suppose the new PCM could have a problem, it is unlikely by comparison particularly with the immobilizer fault indicating the key isn't recognized etc.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
like i said, engine did not run , i even did not have check engine light on when i was turning the key on, and no communication between my scanner and obd2 , thats why i figured my pcm is bad, and after i replaced the pcm, i got the p0513 code ,

Yep, I think you were right on the money... the engine light is working again so you know the fault that damaged the old PCM is no longer present, you just need to get those keys registered correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
onece again, thank you for your help, i will go to the dealer ship Tuesday , hope they can do the keys,

They will have no problem with them; I'm glad to help out!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have one more question,
is there any way that i can start the car and run it to the dealership?

I'm sorry, I had already left for the night when you had responded.

In this situation, no, a tow truck is the only option. There is a temporary over ride for the immobilizer, however it only works with the original PCM and immobilizer ecu. If you swap either out, the over ride will not function until they get registered and paired again since again they are mismatched and locked out of operation until that is done.

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician