Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Pulling a P0441 code and P0301 codes. The kid bought bad gad

Customer Question
gas and have used heat...
pulling a P0441 code and P0301 codes. The kid bought bad gad gas and have used heat to get rid of the water
JA: HHave you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2005 lancer es
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, did a visual inspection and did not see any loose hoses. Just had both 02 sensors replaced for inspection though
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
6/16/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

The P0441 is a evap purge fault... when it is trying to do its self test it is seeing unexpected changes to the engine vacuum. While this can be a bad purge solenoid (The vacuum solenoid with the larger hoses), it is very common for people to get vacuum hoses disconnected or even hooked up incorrectly and cause this fault. If you have been tracking down the misfire condition it might be worth double checking that nothing got unhooked or hooked up incorrectly. Otherwise the purge solenoids do fail with relative frequency.

With regard to the P0301... we need to figure what is going on in that cylinder that is different from the others. Please pull the #1 and the #3 spark plugs (the cylinder nearest the drive belts is #1) and compare their condition to see if there is anything obvious. If you are unsure what you are looking at, you can post a picture here for me to review.

Then reverse the positions so the #1 plug goes into the #3 cylinder and vice versa, then clear the faults and run the engine... does the misfire return on #1 or does it move to #3?

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician