john aka eauto
john aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years ase certified
6149662

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4 cylinder 5 speed

Customer Question

Hello I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4 cylinder 5 speed manual transmission. When I have the clutch ingsuged it runs and sounds fine, but once I realease the clutch it makes a loud clicking sound.Like a baseball card sounds in bike spokes. The sound increases speed as I accelerate but the vehicle shifts through all the fears fine. I don't seam to loose power although I haven't driven much since the problem started for fear of doing further damage. I did install a new clutch thinking that was the issue but after completion the same sound was still happening. Do you know what could be causing this problem?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 1 year ago.
did you replace the throwout bearing and pilot bearing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got ill and had a guy finish the repair he says yes but I did not see that for myself.
that's the million dollar question....is the noise coming from the bellhousing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it almost souds as if there is a loose object in there bouncing around.
I bet he skipped out on the pilot bearing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I guess I know what I am doing today. Thank you for your help.
hope you can rate my service 5 star..id swap the throwout bearing also
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do that thank you for your help and I will make sure to give that rating.
thank you
i hope you can rate me 5 star so we can close the question out Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you