Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

I was driving and lost all power... Then my car wouldn't start.

Customer Question
It turns over but does...
I was driving and lost all power... Then my car wouldn't start. It turns over but does not fire
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It is a 2001 eclipse spider. I had just had the o2 sensors replaced and I was driving lost all power and the car would not restart. The power drained quickly and the car was completely dead. We jumped it and the power came back but it won't start
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet I don't know where to start
JA: Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
5/14/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!You have at least a couple problems going on. If the battery was draining while driving then you have a charging system issue but that won't cause a no start condition. If polarity was reversed when jumping it or jumper cables were applied with the key on then damage may have been done.Does the ECM communicate with a scan tool?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does... Could this be caused by a coil not firing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The battery did not drain until I tried to start it after it died while driving.
Are any fault codes setting?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope
Have you tested fuel pressure?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only one of my coils is firing so I replaced it and there is still no spark on that side
What engine do you have?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4cylinder
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2.4L
Which specific cylinders have spark?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe 3&4 the coil not firing is on the passenger side
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe it is the coil over 1&2 that is not firing
Do you have an actual scan tool to monitor data?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a Bosch odm1?... Scanner it wont communicate now.... Showing no codes... I just used a screwdriver to test firing only one fires.... Positioning sensor maybe?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bosch obd 1000 sorry phone autocorrect
It doesn't communicate? Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It reads no link now when connected but it did reset the check engine light though...
You did in fact have fault codes stored?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you can hear the fuel pump working when you can smell has a little when the two cylinders are trying to fire
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gas
What codes were stored?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It never showed a code all it did was clear check engine light then said no link
Are you clearing codes without reading them first?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is just a pocket scan... No stored codes but I just tried it on my other car and it still says no link in think I got a bad scanner
If there is something to clear then there are fault codes set. Fault codes are the reason that the engine light comes on and are cleared to turn it off. To be missing spark with a good coil you have to have a wiring issue or incorrect cam timing. A coil driver or circuit issue would be setting a fault code.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could this be a positioning sensor on the cam?
It could be but it's not likely.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok well i am going to exchange the scanner and see if it gives me a code with the new one
Great!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
PO403 control circuit PO340 crank shaft positioning sensor
The P0340 is related to the no start condition. It's either being set by a bad cam sensor, a cam sensor wiring issue, or incorrect cam timing. Incorrect cam timing is the most likely cause for this.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P0403 EGR solenoid?
Correct, but not part of the no start issue.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
pretty much this is a big project to fix my car and not something I could do myself
That would depend your ability/comfort level and what you have for tools. Replacing the timing belt is a pretty big project if you aren't experienced, and could end up end bent valves if done incorrectly.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician