Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi dl: I have a 2010 mistubishi lance base model with

Customer Question
I have a 2010 mistubishi...
I have a 2010 mistubishi lance base model with Auto transmisson. I parked it and came back 2 days later and it will not crack(turnover). Also the door locks will not work, radio, fan blower, or lights, and it shows to be running hott and all the doors open. Also the antilock break light is on and the traction contol shows off. I have changed battery check all fuses and relays in both gues boxes. I have looked for broken wires. Also I have gotten another ecm that is doing the same thing. When I hooked the obdii it will power up but when trying to scan it says connection issues. I did jumper aroundthe starter and motor will turn over. Any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
5/13/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Hi,First off, get the original computer(s) back in there... if you mix up used ones in there you will cause the system to lock up, and if left that way long enough you will be in for a dealer visit to correct the issue. You can not change used computers on these without reprogramming.That aside....Please go to the battery and look carefully at the fusible link pack on the back of the positive battery terminal and see if any links are blown.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes I havery put the original ecm back in and have checked the fusible link pack they are all good
Thanks.Please unplug the small signal wire from the starter. Take a test light or meter and connect it between the signal wire and battery negative.Then turn the key to the Start position. Does the signal wire get voltage when the key is held?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it doesn't get voltage I had jumped across the relay b4 and the starter did turn motor over
Thanks.If there is no signal coming to the starter then we would consider an immobilizer issue, a park position switch issue, relay (if present, base models do not always have one) or ignition switch. Of those... immobilizer issues are most common. If you place the shifter into Neutral is there any change in the condition?Do you have a different key you can try for comparison?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Neutral makes no difference. I have tried other spare key that never gets used.
Thanks.Please pull out the starter relay and check for voltage at each pin of the socket with the key off, then again with the key on, and once more while a helper holds the key in the Start position. Tell me how many pins have voltage in each position.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will be tomorrow b4 I can do that I have had to leave car to go to work thanks I will do it first thing in morning.
No problem. Based on that we will have a little better idea of what is going on and can progress from there.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checked power to starter relay. Key in start position makes no difference in where 12v power is coming in. Only getting power to one of the larger posts on the relay. Opposite the wire going to starter.
Thanks, ***** ***** no signal even reaching the starter relay. That will put use down to ignition switch (I've literally never seen one of these fail on this generation), ETACS or PCM (be it physical or logical problem).Please go to the ETACS (the in dash fuse panel) and locate connector C315 pin 7 using my diagram.Pin 7 will be the Orange wire on the very left of the middle row (note the connector is on its side.... so it will probably be "top center" in its orientation).Back probe the connector on pin 7 and turn the key to Start and see if you have voltage.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did this and got 12v when I turned to start and nothing when I let off key
Perfect, so the ignition switch is good.Please go to connector C304 on the same diagram and locate pin 15 which is light green. It will be on the bottom row, just left of center.Back probe this pin and turn the key to the Start position and see if you have voltage (it might be low, just look for a change between key off and key Start).
Hang on, I gave the wrong location I think
Yeah it should be bottom row, next to last pin on the right. Color is same.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes I got 12v when key to start and nothing key off
Great. So voltage is passing the ETACS.Please go to the PCM connector B109 which is the smaller of the two connectors. Unplug the PCM and check for voltage on pin 105 which is a light green wire and will be on the third row, second from last on the right (looking at the wire side, not the pin side). See if there is 12V there with the key turned to Start.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes I got 12v on that pin lite green wire on the smaller pcm plug
Thanks.Now on the same plug go to pin 106 right next to it, which is a red/white wire and with the connector plugged in, back probe this wire and see if there is voltage in the Start position. Everything needs to be plugged in for this test.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got 12 volts on that wire when turning key to start. Then when key turned to off had 12v until relay kickout then got no voltage
Perfect.So at this point we know the starter signal is making it from the ignition switch through the ETACS and is passing immobilizer test and outputted from the PCM.So we have something post-security stopping the signal.Please unplug the range switch and check for voltage on pin 10 (Red/white) and see if there is 12V when turned to Start.If there is, plug the switch back in and back-probe pin 7 (black/red) and check for voltage in the Start position.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sorry but not sure what the range shitch is. Might need to know where it is if not obvious sorry
The range switch is on the top of the transmission, beneath the air filter area. It is the part with the shift cable attached to it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not getting 12v on pin 10 in am key position
Thanks.That narrows us down significantly.Please locate connector A10 at the fuse panel using my diagram, make sure it is plugged in tight and free of corrosion, then check pin 12 (red/white) and see if there is voltage when turned to Start. Pin 12 is on the bottom row, third from left.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes pin 12 has 12v when turned to start and 0 when turned to off
Thanks. In this situation your only possible cause is going to be a break in the wiring. While this is unusual to occur without instigation, if your test results are all correct, it is the only possible cause.I'm attaching the schematic to show what we were testing and why.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have ohmed out all the wire everything checks good. Do you know why any of the other things are not working like lights, door locks, radio, fan blower, why saying it's hot and the doors open when not
I would suspect whatever damage is there may be affecting other items, however depending on the chain of events you did swap the PCM out which will cause the antitheft to freak out since these are all coded to the vehicle. When the ETACS gets confused like that you lose pretty much all your accessory devices.With regard to the starting issue.... you have voltage on the output wire of the PCM and at the A10 connector but not at the range switch.... you didn't ohm that wire, because there is a break. If you had continuity, you would have voltage there too. That 12V signal is just a straight shot through the schematic to the starter solenoid... wherever it stops is where you have your problem. If your test results you gave me were accurate, the voltage stops between the A10 and the range switch.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pcm was swapped after all of these other things where already not functioning properly. After u said faulty wiring we ohmed from the top of a 10 to the range switch and it ohmed out so wire has no breaks correct
Well one thing is untrue.... either you have direct continuity between A10 and pin 10 of the range switch OR you don't have voltage at pin 10 of the range switch. You can't have it both ways.If there is continuity, then there should be voltage. If there is no voltage, there is no continuity.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree but it seems with the range switch unhooked power stops coming out of the pcm with the range switch hooked up it gets to a10
Make sure you are on the right pin on the range switch. What you are describing isn't really possible.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now that we have hooked everthing back up we are not getting full 12v thru pcm. You get some voltage as soon as we hit key it turn overy for a split sec. Then quites
Further evidence there is likely a wiring problem.If everything you said above is correct and the new battery you installed is definitely good, you have a bad connection somewhere in there. As you can see in the schematic, once it is past the PCM it is just a straight delivery of power to the starter solenoid (passing through the range switch to activate the relay etc). I would be concerned that is it isn't wiring then some way or another damage was caused between the PCM and the ETACS.... however you would need a factory scan tool to verify that (check/recode key, check output signal etc).
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician