Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

The car was having trouble starting days. I replaced

Customer Question

The car was having trouble starting for several days. I replaced the battery and that helped but only for a few more days. Now when I try to start it, it just clicks one time per turn of the ignition. The battery is still operating everything inside the car fine (radio, lights, etc.).
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just the battery. We also tried charging the battery
JA: Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 160,000 miles
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. At the starter motor itself, there is a small gauge wire and a large gauge wire, If you have a volt meter, you can check for power on the small gauge wire when the key is turned to the START position, Since you are hearing a click when you turn the ignition, I believe what you are hearing is the starter bendix kicking out, but the starter motor itself is likely failing, If you have power on the small wire in START position, and you know your battery is good, I would replace the starter motor itself. One more thing you can try, is get someone in the car, and have them HOLD the key in START position, try tapping on the starter with a hammer or tire iron, if the engine cranks then, you will need to replace the starter. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Any luck checking the power on the small gauge wire? Let me know if you need anymore help. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
The alternator won't come off. We could only get the motor off
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
You have the starter motor off now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I would take it to a local auto parts store and have them check it, it's tricky with starters though, because half the time they will test good, and half the time they won't. But while it's off, you could check for power on the small wire with key in the START position now right?