Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Montero: looking replacement engine

Customer Question
looking for a replacement engine...
looking for a replacement engine for a 1991 montero. the engine in the vehicle is the 3.0L V6.
can certain chrylser/dodge engines be substituted??
can be reached at ********@yahoo.com
thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
4/23/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Randall, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, I have compiled a list of all vehicles and years etc that the 3.0 SOHC G672 engine was used, Now, this does not include say the intake manifold, This means the long block is the same on all of these, Long block is shortblock and the heads, meaning the block is the same, oils pan, heads etc,Intaks can vary so you would have to transfer over your intake .exhaust manifolds and so on, 1986-1992 Mitsubishi Debonair1987–2000 Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager1988–1989 Chrysler New Yorker1988–1990 Dodge Raider1988-1990 Mitsubishi Sigma1988–1993 Dodge Dynasty1988–present Mitsubishi Pajero (aka Montero/Shogun) (Except GCC and Oceania now)1989-1990 Chrysler Town & Country (early 1989 models only)1989–1995 Plymouth Acclaim/Dodge Spirit/Chrysler Saratoga1990–1991 Chrysler TC by Maserati1990–1993 Dodge Daytona1990–1993 Dodge Ram 501990–1995 Chrysler LeBaron1990–1996 Mitsubishi Mighty Max1990–1998 Hyundai Sonata1990–1999 Mitsubishi GTO (aka Mitsubishi 3000GT, Dodge Stealth)1990–2002 Mitsubishi Diamante1990–2006 Mitsubishi L2001991-1996 Dodge Stealth1991–1996 Mitsubishi Verada (Australia)1992–1994 Dodge Shadow ES1992–1994 Dodge Shadow1993–2001 Mitsubishi Magna (Australia)1994-2007 Mitsubishi L400(aka Space Gear)1995-1999 Proton Perdana1997–2007 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport (aka Montero Sport/aka Challenger in Australia)1999–2003 Mitsubishi Galant2000–2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse2001–2005 Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring Coupe
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did read WIkipedia as to list of engines. And above the list it mentions three different models of the 6G72 engine with the Mitsubishi engine being 3.0L SOHC 24- valve.?? -- can I use the other two versions of the 6G72 in the montero -- SOHC 12 valve and DOHC 24 valve??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry to bother you -- as i was further reading about the 6G72 engines i noticed that some of the articles and responses mention a letter added to the end of the 6G72 engine like 6G72t.. what does the letter indicate?
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Hi,Different user here. I see you've been waiting for a good hour or so and Randall is still not online. The t is indicating a turbocharged variant (specifically Stealth, 3000GT, Legnum, GTO etc).However, you need to be aware that the list above is not accurate. It is a copy of 6G platform vehicles from Wikipedia, but is not a reflection on what will work in your truck. It does not even mean you can use just the long block or anything like that either. There were NUMEROUS changes from year to year and just swapping based on it being a 6G is not possible. For example the crankshaft spacing is changes, the cooling passage alignment changes, the cylinder heads change with regard to electronics fitment, the exhaust spacing changes, the oil pump arrangement changes, pretty much everything differs when you go more than a year or two away from your source year even on the short block itself. That doesn't even get into the turbo models, the DOHC models, and so forth. For a true 1991 model doing a direct swap your only option will be another 88-91 Montero or 88-91 Dodge Raider with the same valvetrain set up. You mentioned yours being a 24V however unless it is a late 91 (92 production year sold early) it should be a 12V engine. If you have a late 91/early production 92 then you would need a 91.5-94 Montero engine or a 90 Sigma, 91-93 3000GT SOHC. If you were only replacing the block (no heads), the earlier Montero/Raider 12V would work too since you would be scrapping the heads anyway.You can not realistically swap between 12V and 24V, beyond just the fueling being irregular, the electrical control is completely different (and the differences are integral the cylinder heads) making it impossible to swap without changing the entire wiring harness and computer, which unless manual would entail a transmission change too. The same goes for the DOHC. Completely differently wired set up and no way to make it run in the wrong chassis without the correct wiring harness and computer etc.
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician