Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Lancer GT: 2016 Lancer GT VIN: JA32U8FW2GU003345 Relevant

Customer Question
2016 Lancer GT VIN: JA32U8FW2GU003345 Relevant pictures...
2016 Lancer GT
VIN: JA32U8FW2GU003345
Relevant pictures: http://imgur.com/a/iGwxk
Bought the car with the display audio, purchased the AND and install kit through my job, and when I install I get U0245 from 2 different systems. Dealer told me that I'm just coding the car incorrectly, but I don't see what option coding I'm missing...
Also... with the CAN BUS diagnosis showing an EPS issue and no AND at all, is it possible the AND and EPS issues are related or is the EPS a completely separate issue that the dealer should be addressing under warranty?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
4/23/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Hi,If the problem was not there before the modifications, it is highly unlikely that it is a separate issue. I have not seen anything that would cause a PS conflict though, either through normal failures or modifications. I have seen literally one EPS failure since this system came out, and it was the result of an accident (internal damage that shorted it out) anyway. What exact kit did you purchase, do you have a part number?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
8750A153 I believe it is. I work as a port installer so everything came direct from mitsu.I didn't put the car to a MUTT prior to the install so I'm not sure, but I'm hoping the dealership would have so I can't say whether it was there prior or not. I may attempt to reinstall the stock radio and see if that fixes the DTC or not.
Thats just a steering wheel cover for that part.Can you get the part numbers for everything you swapped? With regard to the actual problem at hand... if you revert to original configuration does the power steering bus fault go away?
Thanks. I'm not seeing the 8750A563 as applicable for some reason... probably because it is not the package part number? I would imagine perhaps since you are a port installer you have access to the kit components maybe.My concern with the head is that the 15 and 16 are not interchangeable as far as we've been told at the dealer level. But with that number I can't tell which it is. With regard to the coding, you should need to turn Audio CAN on. I haven't done a 16 swap, but 15 and back you require audio CAN.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MZ360474EX(AND) MZ360473EX(kit) those are the 2 part numbers I installed. When I marked Audio CAN as present, it gave me the same error message as only AND, but with a separate DTC that I didn't mark down. There's also a MZ360340EX(Remote Start) that I installed that I doubt is part of this problem, but anything other than installs themselves are out of my realm of knowledge.
Good, 474 was the one we wanted.I wouldn't suspect that the remote start is related either. My concern would be more on the nav install, especially if the CAN has is disabled. Again unless something changed in 2016 installs, that is required for the CAN box to show up on the network. If you have something on the CAN network (plugged in) and not assigned in the ETACS, there is no telling what might occur on the bus.
Also, have you tried setting AND to Not Present? I'm curious about this as I've come across quite a few of these where the flag is not turned on there but everything operates as normal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So this sounds like I need to enable the Audio CAN, diagnose the CAN, and erase and read all DTC and report back tomorrow with results. Audio CAN was marked as not present the first time I looked at my ETACS coding which is why I left it that way.
No, I did not try that... I can give that a shot tomorrow as well and see what happens.When putting the stock display back in, what options should I have marked in order to make sure I don't mess any of that up and ruin my test?
Lets first enable CAN as the nav uses that CAN box (again I apologize I haven't done a 16 swap yet, I am assuming it is still external) so CAN needs to be turned on. Even if they moved it inside the head, I would have to expect it still needs the flag turned on. MMCS/MMES/etc are the only audio options that use the CAN unit.Run a bus diagnosis and see if the same EPS sets or something else etc.If you still have a fault, turn AND flag off and recheck. I have a feeling with CAN on and AND off you will likely be OK. If you still have an EPS bus fault, then lets pull the unit out and put the stock back in. I believe you will want the audio either all set to Not Present or just Display Audio set to Present. If you set them all to Not Present it will just ignore any bus commands.If you have the amplified audio leave speakers as is... is you do not, turn off the Premium flag, as that isn't right for your vehicle without the amp.CAN box of course needs to be off.The rest should be fine/irrelevant.Do that and see if the EPS fault sets. If it does.... pull the remote start out. If it still sets.... well we would have to expect that ruling out any "whoops" during installs know or unknown, there would be an unrelated issue at hand. That's pretty unlikely though as I'm sure you know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Doing a unit diagnosis from within the back gives me this error. Unless the can box is internal, I don't have one... Would the can box be the green connector that plugs into the box on the bottom of the outlander installs? That's the only install I remember having an outside box
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
From within the navi*
Hmm.... it may have been moved internal. It should have come with the kit if it was needed, it always has in the past. It is a roughly 2"x2"x3/4" that mounts to the bottom of the bracketry for the navi head unit.This error is with CAN turned on in the ETACS?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes. That was with CAN only turned on. I get the EPS error without remote start plugged in, with AND and CAN, and CAN only. Currently pulling the car apart to replace the nav with the display
Thanks. I think we have to consider that there may be either a defect in the navi unit or perhaps something went awry in the install (wire pinched etc). Lets get the navi out of there and compare, and if still present (EPS fault) then pull the remote start and recheck.
Yeah no green plug, so it must have been moved internal I suppose.
With that in mind, the CAN error on the display could be due to internal issue, or it could be from the bus crash (presumed) causing the EPS failure. That will be the point in returning to stock... if the problem maintains, then (wiring damage/unplugging that was missed aside) we would have to assume there is an unrelated problem with the vehicle that needs addressing (actual EPS issue, unrelated wiring issue, etc).
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About to pull the remote start... Currently with stock radio in and still have EPS issue
Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My car is returned to stock except for the fog lights I upgraded and I still get U0184 AUDIO CAN timeout... The difference is when its stock my air bag also has the DTC instead of just Air Conditioner and Fast/immobi/tpmsMy EPS issue is still present
Ugh, that's surprising. Was there possibly anything else changed in the ETACS? Do you want to do a fresh flash on the ETACS to factory spec just to rule it out? The next step going forward will be double checking for anything you may have inadvertently unplugged/left loose, wires pinched/zip tied too tight etc, then taking it to the dealer to diagnose the EPS issue as an unrelated fault.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We can try a fresh flash since I'm back to stock depending on what I need for it
You'll need your MUT and VCI, and I can supply the rest.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, I have those with me now
Great, I'm getting your calibration file now.You'll need to go into System Select, then your VIN of course, and select ETACS.Then choose Special Function, then On Vehicle Coding.It will ask you for the VIN... be sure you get it right... then it will have you browse for a coding file. The coding file is attached here (*.KON). Put it on a thumb drive that is plugged into the MUT.I have to ZIP the file in order to attach it to the site, so you will have to unzip it so the KON file is what you select.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The MUT I have only has 1 USB port and that's for the VCI so I'll have to just take it to the dealer and let them look at it.
I'm not accepting defeat and letting them deal with the nav until the EPS issue is fixed so I'll update you when I get an answer on what the EPS issue was and whether that fixes the nav before calling this a fixed issue
No problem... yeah the IBM and the toughbooks stink in that regard. You can use a USB splitter, or you can unplug the VCI and copy the files over first... but that requires getting past the scan tool security which while doable puts us into a whole other conversation (And one they probably wouldn't like me sharing since they work fairly hard at keeping that system locked up).The newer toughpads luckily finally have dual usb. Unless there is like I mentioned before some sort of collateral damage (wiring pinched, unplugged) or the ETACS got something else changed in it by accident (though I can't really imagine what), it sounds like it may just be bad luck/timing and an unrelated issue. The KON flash will put the ETACS back to factory original for your VIN if you find a way to get it on there to flash... otherwise from that point leave everything back to stock and take it in to the dealer for addressing, as at that point we can be fairly safe to assume it isn't related to anything you did. Sometimes these things do happen... I've gotten two brand new Sports (new car deliveries to the dealer) with SRS bus faults due to a defect in the cluster on both of them. No real reason to fail, and both had less than 2 miles... so sometimes these things do happen through no fault of your own. Apart from again a last check over for accidents where you were working, you've done more than your due diligence in making sure it wasn't something you did.
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician