Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

My daughter has a 2003 eclipse and she just got it out of

Customer Question
HI my daughter has a...
HI my daughter has a 2003 eclipse and she just got it out of the shop and they did not find anything wrong, it would not start at time then it sat for 2 days and it started, not it would not turn over. What could be the problem?
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: I guess it the same one that has been in the car
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Fine, she just got it back from the mechanic on Friday
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is someone there?
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/10/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Hi,I apologize for the delay.It can be incredibly difficult to diagnose a situation like this when the vehicle is only intermittently having issues, and adding a remote element to the situation only makes it worse of course. In order to determine what is going on, the problem is going to have to be present at the time that the shop is inspecting the vehicle. I know this can be very frustrating when the problem is intermittent like this, the best thing to do if the option is there is to leave the vehicle with a shop that can drive it periodically for a few days to try to reproduce the problem. Once the problem is able to be reproduced, they can start making some inspections to isolate the issue. With that all said, I can give some insight at least into what is extremely common on this model for random/intermittent no starts. With regard to crank-no-starts:The biggest culprits are the crankshaft position sensor (both GS and GT/GTS models) and the camshaft position sensor (GS models only). It can usually be determined if the crankshaft sensor is the case by simply checking for spark while the problem is occurring... if there is no spark, it is nearly certain the crank sensor is at fault. While there are other possible causes for spark loss of course, there are few that will be intermittent. Coil failures, fuse problems, computer problems... none of these are common to come and go. The crank sensor is.The cam sensor (GS/4 cylinder only...GT/V6 has it built into the distributor and is significantly less likely to fail) would be a suspect if there is spark when the problem is occurring. Further you can use starting fluid to shoot into the intake while it is not starting, and if the engine tries to run this further increases the odds of it being a cam sensor.In either scenario, you must use genuine Mitsubishi sensors. A large portion of the time when we run into these issues they are low quality aftermarket sensors to begin with. Save yourself the headaches if it goes that route, and insist on genuine Mitsubishi sensors. With regard to no-crank-no-starts:With basics hopefully already well tested (battery, starter, terminals/connections), the most common no crank failure on these cars is the ignition switch. When it fails, and they do frequently, turning the key to On works fine, but when turned to the Start position, the starter simply doesn't respond. You can sometimes put extra force on the key to push it harder/farther than normal and result in the starter operating... this is a dead giveaway of the ignition switch being an issue, though this not working is not a guarantee the switch is OK. To do that a tech would be wanting to check for signal voltage at the starter when the key is turned. Again this is speculation based on a decade of working on this brand... it does not replace hands on analysis while the problem is occurring. The best option is to try to find a shop or dealer that will hold the vehicle for a few days if necessary to be able to reproduce the no start and then actual diagnosis can occur. As long as the problem is not present, any diagnosis attempts will be futile.
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician