Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner, 27 year Import technician
29331485

Mitsubishi Montero Sports Ls: I just did a complete valve cover

Customer Question

I just did a complete valve cover gasket replacement of my 2002 MItsubishi Montero sports 3.0 LS because it was leaking oil as per mechanic and dripped down to exhaust causing it to burning oil and smokes to come out. After replacing it, the smokes the comes out is even worse. Based on visual inspection, I saw more smoke coming from the exhaust pipe beneath the rear cam seal. I suspected it could be oil coming out the rear cam on both side sides (passenger & driver). After idling the car for more than 30 minutes, the car overheats and temperature reading reached H, then I shut off the car. Prior to that, I saw some white smokes coming from the tail pipe. What could be problem of car? Also, when I removed one of spark plug # ***** I found some oil on the tread but it looks clear not black. What is the easy way to remove rear cam gasket without removing the cylinder head? If this is the problem? The car has a mileage of 125 K.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi . White smoke is coolant burning out the exhaust so you may have a bad headgasket .do a CO2 test this will confirm a bad head gasket . Head gasket test please click hear The oil leak is most likely the rear cam plug at the back if you did the valve gasket .I would also think that with you having oil in the plug holes this may be due to the fact you forgot to replace the spark plug hole seals.this is normally done when the valve cove gasket is replaced .. The rear seal can be done with out removing the cylinder heads but you will need to remove the intake manifold .then you can gain access to the plate with two 10mm bolts remove and replace toe "O" ring seal. Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed. Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,A bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi . Did you check this out . Greg