Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

I have a 2002 mitsubishi montero sport limited 3.5l ...i got

Customer Question
i have a 2002 mitsubishi...
i have a 2002 mitsubishi montero sport limited 3.5l ...i got the veh. with bent valves. so i took heads off and had them professionally done. i put everything back together on the veh. but my problem is.. i have one plug that i can not find where it goes.. it is a single yellow wire with a little black plug. it is connected to the front wiring harness that hooks into the coil packs..and ends up on drivers side of motor. when i first turned it over...it started for a sec. and i shut it off. not i can not get the veh to start. it has fuel, and spark
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: now it just cranks, no start .. it fired up when i first tried after i put it all back together..i shut it off.. and now it cranks.. but no start.. and i can not find where the little black plug connects onto.. it is a plug that would slide onto a single spade connector.. like the temp sensor ect. it is the wire the y's off of the ogygen sensor plug in harness dy the drivers side valve cover
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mitsubishi Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
4/5/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Hi,While I don't suspect it will be related to your no start condition, can you get a photo of the wire/connector you have left over?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not at the moment, its in the shop, it is the same connector that connects into the back of the horn, that is located on the firewall on drivers side of veh
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its just a single yellow wire, inside a black wire loom.. all by its self.. and it has a single spade black plug-in connector maybe 1/4" x 3/8" black plug.. and there is also the same plug that plugs into what seems to b a ground..bolted onto the top of the upper plenum. there is another plug like it that plugs into that also
Oh okay, that clarifies a lot. That is probably one of the test ports... Mitsubishi puts single blade connectors in the harness on the firewall for various purposes... checking fuel pump voltage, locking ignition timing, etc.I'll check the schematic quick just to be sure though.
It looks like that should be the engine RPM connector. Again this is just a test/inspection connector and wouldn't connect to anything anyway.You mentioned that initially the engine ran for a moment then stalled, and now it just cranks and does not start. Did you receive this vehicle with no keys or with a generic key?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it fired up.. as soon as i heard it fire up i turned the key off..the vehicle has sat for about a month without a battery in it..i do know that.. security issues>?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it might have fired up and died itself.. i dont know, because like i said..as soon as i heard it fire up..i shut the key off
That is the first thing that comes to mind when there is a sudden no start like that. The immobilizer will usually allow a second or two run before it eventually won't even kick a little.I take it you did receive the vehicle with keys? If you did, did they look original (worn, Mitsubishi logo)?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the single yellow wire wasnt on the firewall.. it was in the wire loom that is the front loom for engine wiring.. the same wire loom that goes to the ignition coils ect..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all the way at the top front side of the upper plenum, there is a single spade ground connector that is bolted down. . the plug, looks identicle to the plug that plugs into that , but it is a single yellow wire, inside a black plastic loom, all by its self, and it has a little black plug at the end
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes, but only a single key . ... would it matter that it has been sitting without a battery for about a month now..
Oh okay, I thought you said it was on the firewall... in that case that would likely be the condenser for the ignition. It cuts down on noise but won't prevent running. It is a single wire blade type connector and i right by the coils. area. Sitting without a battery wouldn't make any difference.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok.. well the plug im talking about seems to b located down around the egr tube area.? it y's off of the wiring that plugs into the O2 sensor plug in.. that is attached to the drivers side side of the head
Yeah I think a picture would help as it seems to be hard to nail down the location of it. I can't think of anything that is single wire in that area... and again it shouldn't be anything that prevents the engine from running if it is single wire.
On the topic of the no start.... have you tried starting fluid, or verified spark on all coils while cranking, checked fuel pressure, etc?
Its a bit of a stretch, but the oil pressure switch wire is a single blade connector on a yellow wire and has a loom over it.... I'd check down by the oil filter and make sure it isn't unplugged.I've literally gone down the entire engine compartment connector list and checked every single-pin connector... that is the only one in the general area you described most recently, and just happens to be a yellow wire too.
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician