Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

99 3000GT, the anti theft wont let the car start, how do I…

Customer Question
99 3000GT, the anti...

99 3000GT, the anti theft wont let the car start, how do I reset it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My mother in law was driving and popped the clutch. the car shut down after that and then if she used the keyless entry to unlock the doors they locked right back. we disconnected the battery after towing it home. now it will not engage what so ever. turn the key no crank. the starter has obviously disengaged. is there a way to reset the alarm system to allow the car to start again

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
3/8/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Are you getting any response from the keyless entry when you attempt to unlock it? This will disarm the alarm if the keyless is working (Assuming the alarm is the issue with the no start).

it is unlocked now but the starter doesn't seem to be engaging

That was my concern is that the keyless working to unlock should have disarmed the alarm, allowing the starter to work.
You aren't seeing any lights flashing or horn honking right?

nothing like that

This makes me think there is something other than an alarm issue going on, as you really aren't seeing the behavior we would expect if the theft alarm was preventing starter operation... no horn honking, no lights flashing, and no re-enabling of the starter when you use the keyless.

Never the less, if you really think it might be it, the last ditch to bypass the alarm on these is to unhook the negative battery cable, insert the key and turn it to On, then reattach the negative cable. This will trick the system into being disarmed.
What I would be interested in doing personally would be checking the starter signal wire for voltage while the key is turned to see if the message is reaching the starter, then if it isn't checking at the clutch switch to see if it is there and not passing the switch, and if not then checking at the ignition switch itself to see if it is sending the start signal.

the lights on the dash were originally comimg on and now not even any lights when the key is turned, I was also thinking no power from the battery

Well yes if you aren't seeing any response, not just from the starter then that is certainly even further off target for sure.

If you turn the headlights on can you see any twinkle in them at all?

idk, im not currently at the car and would have to check later, i would like to continue this conversation tomorrow

No problem at all.
If you have anything other than full intensity from the lights, then lets get a charger or jumper cables hooked up before going any further. It is entirely possible that the battery either ran down during testing or even perhaps ran down while driving (charging issue etc) causing the whole mess.

If however you have full power, then we would want to proceed with the starter signal wire inspection outlined previously to see if we can figure out if/where the signal is dropping. Knowing that nothing is coming on at all though and not just starter operation, obviously we need to address that suspected power supply issue first.
You can reach me again at this page tomorrow; do not open a new question, just reply back here and I will be notified as soon as I am available.

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician