Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

The "ASC off" "Service required" warnings and the display of

Customer Question

The "ASC off" "Service required" warnings and the display of a car sliding keeps coming on.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The "ASC off" "Service required" warnings and the display of a car sliding keeps coming on. It started yesterday afternoon.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Unless it is a super easy fix probably not. I am just concerned when warnings keep coming on.
JA: Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?
Customer: It's a 2010, and has $106k miles on it..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Mitsubishi Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mitsubishi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

What model is the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lancer ES
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

This is nearly always indicating a wheel speed sensor fault on this model, they are incredibly common to fail on the 2008-2013 era Lancers.
Are you experiencing any other drivability issues, like loss of throttle response or anything like that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over the last month I have noticed when I go to accelerate it kind of lags. The RPMs drop and then it will jump to 2-3 RPMs and then drive fine.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** loss of all power though (like 5mph top speed, zero change from the pedal)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Nothing like that.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Great, that eliminates a lot of the more serious issues.

When the light comes on, all you are seeing is the Service Engine Soon light, the ABS light solid, and the ASC Service Required message flashing back and forth right? You do not see the ABS light in the cluster flashing at you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what I am getting.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. As long as we are not seeing the ABS light in the cluster flashing, that was the thing we were wanting to watch for.

Given your symptoms we can be confidently narrowed down to either a wheel speed sensor or a pump voltage issue (something specific to 2010s only).

We can effectively rule the pump out by trying to erase the fault (pump faults will not go away, whereas speed sensor faults have about a 50/50 shot at erasing).

Would you feel comfortable unhooking the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds then reconnecting and see if the ASC light comes on right away or if you have to roll first?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's something I can have my husband do when he gets home from work tonight.The light currently goes away when I turn the car off and then turn it back on. Once I've been driving for 10 minutes or so, the light will come back on.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** is sufficient information in itself. The take away was whether or not the light will go out... as pump voltage faults will not go away.

So this is good news, in that the pump voltage issue is a hugely expensive repair and with the light coming and going it should not be the case here.

That really only puts us to a wheel speed sensor issue as a likely culprit. As I mentioned before they are super common to fail on this era Lancer (and Outlander too).

What you need to do moving forward is get the ABS/ASC system scanned to confirm for certain it is a speed sensor, and if so which one. They are too expensive to replace all of them, it is cheaper to have it scanned and identify which one it is. Replacement is straight forward if you wanted to do that yourselves, however the scan tool would be needed again to clear all the faults so for most people it makes sense to just let the shop repair it while they are scanning it to see the problem, as replacement only takes about a half hour regardless of which one is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! That makes me feel better! So it's safe to drive my car for the time being until I can get it into the mechanic?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. There isn't too much to worry about with the light going out sometimes... the pump is the one that is a nightmare financially, the rest are all a few hundred dollar issues at most... and again the speed sensors are the only thing we see with great consistency on these.

There is no harm in driving the vehicle in the mean time. You will be without ASC (skid control) and without ABS function, but the brakes will otherwise work normally. So as long as you are not experiencing snow/ice (doesn't look like it judging by your temperature display), you won't really notice any difference at all in behavior. If you get into a slip situation (seriously wet/slippery roads) you will only have your traditional braking system though, the computer will not compensate for it. So basically.... clear weather, no worries whatsoever; inclement weather, just drive cautiously/don't push the vehicle into a situation where it might need the skid control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect! Thank you so very much for all of your help and insight on this issue.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

It's my pleasure, good luck!