Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It skips when I start off from stop and gets worse as the…

Customer Question
It skips when I...

It skips when I start off from stop and gets worse as the car gets warmer, eventually also skpping at cruise speeds. Giving it hard acceleration seems to be fine once the skip is gone on start off from a stop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

New fuel pump, fuel injectors cleaned. fuel rail cleaned. new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Mitsubishi Mechanic should know about your Mitsubishi?

A mechanic looked at the car last week and he feels the distributor cap is bad even though it was replaced. Also when the weather is cold or damp the car won't start although it will turn over fine. I just got it started again today after it wouldn't start yesterday morning

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
Today when I got the car running again after it didn't start more than 24 hours ago, I had pulled the battery to charge it overnight. I installed the battery today and when I turned over the motor, at first it didn't start but it after a few seconds it acted like it wanted to start so I tried again and it did start. The car sounded like it was running really well. After I warmed up the car for awhile I went for a drive and at first it ran perfectly. I had a few stop and go situations and they were fine. After about 5 minutes of driving I stopped at a light and when leaving I got my first skip but after that the car still ran really well. I went on the highway and ran the motor a little hard on the acceleration and it was running great but after awhile I could feel the first skip at cruising speed of 60 mph. I pulled off at a town so I could do some more stop and go driving. Then the skip got worse when leaving from a stop light or stop sign. It seems the warmer the car gets, the worse it runs. Last week it was skipping so bad that I didn't know if the motor would keep running while I was waiting for a stop light to go green. Today, the car is running much better but it is still skipping. The car is a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT.
3/7/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

sounds like you got a faulty dist cap