Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 endeavor limited. 15 amp fuse under the hood in the…

Customer Question
2005 endeavor limited. 15...

2005 endeavor limited. 15 amp fuse under the hood in the yellow sleeve keeps blowing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Change fuse open door interior lights come on door chime works and radio works with no comm error. A few seconds later no light no radio no chime and comm error is on the display.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

I put on a new ground cable on the battery thinking I might have a ground issue because the old cable was really loose.

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Mitsubishi Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?

New cable same problem

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
3/6/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Did anything noteworthy happen prior to this condition forming? For example recent repairs, modifications, accessories or upgrades etc?

Battery replacement 6 months prior. Noticed when I bought the battery it called for two different #s. The one I bought ended up being smaller in size than the original but it was a # ***** called for.
I've also notice at idle when I turn the fan on it drops 400 rpm on the tach

Thanks. The battery should not pose an issue, and a throttle cleaning will like lit take care of the idle issue.

With the fuse failure and nothing really related having been done recently, let's start by isolating the radio. The radio trim panel pulls toward you to release, then the radio is held on with four screws and one 10mm nut toward the rear. Take the radio out and then reinstall the fuse and see if it blows then.

NOTE: if you have the advanced airbag system (two lights on either side of the hazard button), do not turn the key on before plugging these back in. If you do it will require a dealer visit to turn off the srs light.

I'll check the radio but the idle only changes when there is a electrical pull. Runs fine just notice the rpm drop when I turn on the vent fan not when the engine fan kicks on

Yeah that's pretty consistent with behavior after battery replacement, and throttle cleaning will lessen the condition.

Let's get that radio out and see if the fuse views with it removed... It's going to be in the radio or the interior lighting most likely, and the radio is the most common to short out.

**if the fuse blows**

Sorry, the spell check taking liberties is killing me today

Radio is out. Same problem

Thanks. Of the two fuses it is the ignition fuse that is blowing right? One of these (22) is constant power and the other is ignition power (23) that only gets power when the key is turned on.

22 is the one that keeps blowing

Thanks.

And you said you are seeing the E COM message (no radio communication) so we know the center display is not at fault.
Lets start isolating the interior lighting... specifically, pull the dome light down and unplug it, drop the visors down and unplug them, etc.

Rear domes too

Yes... Though they aren't as common to cause issues, the trick here us isolating add much of the circuit as possible to try to locate the short.

Done. All out
Can I put the radio back together.

Yes, the radio can go back together. Name sure to remember snugging the 10mm nut on the back.

Once ready again check for fuse failure. If it still blows, we will want to look inside your accessory outlets for foreign matter... This is a long shot without blowing the swim may fuse, but worth a look anyway.

Radio is in. All interior lights removed and unplugged. Pressed fuse 22 and 23 in with vehicle off and 22 blew as soon as it was plugged in. Turned vehicle on and of course didn't work. I seen the flash when the fuse blew when I plugged it in.

Thanks. We need to get a bit more invasive it seems. Less go to the drivers end of the dash and look behind the fuse panel. You will see a large plastic box attached to the back of the fuse panel. On the end there is a button to press to release it and rotate the box out of the fuse panel. Remove this part and recheck.

I need to finish up tomorrow. It's getting dark on me. Thanks.

No problem at all.