Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer ES and longest time, when…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 Mitsubishi...
I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer ES and for the longest time, when you started it, there would be a squealing from the engine. It would do it for a minute or two, but would then quite and be fine. (It would also seem to be worse in colder weather. As time went on the squealing got worse so I replaced both belts, and the problem disappeared - for a few days. So for the past month the squealing got worse and worse and would continue for a long time. Today, my alternator belt broke with a burning rubber smell. You can manually spin the alternator (without the belt) and there is no feeling of grinding or rubbing.Is my alternator shot, or is it something else?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
3/4/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

I doubt it's the alternator itself, probably the belt tensioner or Idler pulley, Did you spin all of your accessories by hand to see if they all felt good and didn't feel notchy or like a bearing was going bad in any of them? Something obviously locked up, and if the alternator feels good, it's something else that the belt spins.

This car has two belts. The alternator belt and the other one goes to the water pump, power steering, etc. The alternator belt does not have a tensioner or a pulley. It goes from the engine to the alternator and that is it.
Here's a video of the layout. https://youtu.be/oum67DYSaEQ

That's right, I just answered a ford question and been working too long. lol. So the alternator belt only goes around the crank and alternator, and you adjust the alternator for belt tension correct?

That is correct.

I follow you, I don't see how it could be anything else but the alternator that locked up. Unless the rare foreign object got lodged in there somehow. If you didn't notice anything in the belt area that shouldn't have been there, It would have to be the alternator in my opinion, unless the belt somehow got way loose. Those are the only things that come to mind, I'd try another belt. quality belt. And if it did it again, I'd put another alternator on it. That's about the only thing that comes to mind. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!