Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am having a TOUGH time trying to figure what's wrong with…

Customer Question
i am having a TOUGH...
i am having a TOUGH time trying to figure what's wrong with my car. i drive a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse rs and just the other night as i was going for a leisure drive, the car turned off while i was driving and kept turning over but that's just about it, nothing else. i drive with a P0170 code (it comes and goes often or stays pending) and that night a new code was read, P0340. i'm getting incredibly frustrated and could really use the help. i have replaced battery, starter, alternator recently. oil change and transmission drain. with the P0170, i have only really tried replacing the o2 sensors and MAF sensor. for the P0340 i replaced the camshaft position sensor.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
3/2/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Are you saying that you have replaced the camshaft position sensor but the P0340 code continue to pop up in the computer?

So you have both the P0340 and P0170 code correct? When the engine stalled out and did not restart, does the engine have spark and fuel?

that is correct, just the sensor. i did a spark test and that came out to be okay and i do have gas, yes.

thank you for that information. It sounds like you either have a bad crankshaft position sensor or a wiring issue between the cam/crank sensor and PCM. My expeirence has been that sometimes when the crank sensor goes bad, the computer will get confused and flag a camshaft position sensor code.

I hope this helps!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

could those malfunctions be a reason why the car turned off while driving? so i should replace the whole crankshaft sensor and not just the camshaft sensor or replaced the pcm? what more can you elaborate on the p0170 and what's that about?

Hello and sorry for the delay

The P0170 code is a lean condition. This is usually caused by a bad oxygen sensor or an air or a vacuum leak. A lot of time the intake manifold gasket will leak engine vacuum causing this code.

But yes, to answer your question, a bad crankshaft position sensor or a wiring issue going to the cam/crank sensor can cause the engine to stall out and not restart intermittantly