Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just bought a 2000 diamonte son and the SRS snd the anti…

Customer Question
Hi I just bought...

Hi I just bought a 2000 diamonte for my son and the SRS snd the anti lock lights are on could you give an aidea why they are on and how to fix then thanks Lonnie

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

That's about all I know

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes, I don't want to put much money into this thing

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Just resetting by removing negative battery wire

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Mitsubishi Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Mitsubishi Mechanic should be aware of about your Mitsubishi?

No just these two light problen

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
2/26/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Lonnie,

Unfortunately both the SRS and ABS systems on this vehicle require a dealer-level scan tool (not a "Code reader" etc) to determine what faults are in play.

The SRS specifically you can not even clear without a scan tool (unhooking the battery will do nothing, as the codes are stored in non-volatile memory). So that one we are about dead in the water on until it can be scanned.

With the ABS we aren't too different of shape, with the exception that these codes will clear if the battery is unhooked, and the behavior afterward can give us a bit of an indication of what direction it may lead.
When you unhooked the battery and reconnected, when the key was turned on did the ABS fault immediately come back, did it stay off, or did it stay off until the vehicle was in motion or engine started etc?

it immediately came on when the key was on before starting the car
any further information on this?

Thanks. I apologize for the delays today.

That would indicate a circuit related fault more likely since it is instantaneous. Are there any drivability related issues that may help us out?

none that I notice

Thanks.

Without any other clues to the condition all we can say with relative certainty is you are probably going to be dealing with a circuit failure since it occurs right away. Circuit failure devices on the ABS for the Diamante are pretty much just the four wheel speed sensors and if you have traction control (TCL) then the two solenoids on the firewall by the brake reservoir. These are the only issues we see with any consistency on this model.

Knowing there are no noticeable drivability issues, the wheel speed sensors become the more prominent suspects... usually if the TCL solenoids fail you will notice idle issues or stalling on deceleration, etc. While it is certainly possible to have other conditions... these are the most likely. Regardless, scanning the system to determine the faults is going to be required to identify with 100% certainty what is wrong.
If you feel comfortable doing so, you can go to the under dash OBD connector and manually short pins 1 and 4 together to force the ABS into diagnostic mode. This will cause the ABS light to flash out patterns for the trouble codes... a long flash followed by two short flashes would be a 12, for example. With that information we would be able to get a little closer to understanding what is going on with the ABS, though nothing is going to 100% replace the on-car scan tool access to be able to inspect the system properly.
And again with the SRS, there is no way around this; this system has no self-service options at all.