Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

I just replaced the fuel pump on a 2004 Endevour AWD

Customer Question
Limited. it drove for a...
I just replaced the fuel pump on a 2004 Endevour AWD Limited. it drove for a little while and then, it lost all power and stopped. after sitting for about 10 minutes it started back up. there seems to be a hesitation when accelerating then dies
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
2/21/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

If you hold the gas pedal only slightly will it run?
Is this behavior the same as before the pump was replaced or is it different?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
same. its starts up with no problem. it does have a small leak in the tank. it will idle fine for a while
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it will run a little better with a slight pressure on the pedal

Thanks.

Has this been happening for longer than one tank of fuel?

When was the last time the throttle body was cleaned?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it started suddenly while driving, I towed it home and it has sat for a few weeks. the throttle body has never been cleaned as far as I know. I bought it used and im not sure what what done to it. it acts fuel starved

Thanks.

Lets pull the intake hose off the throttle body and then take a look in there with the throttle opened... is it all clean/silver or is there gunk in there where the throttle plate rests when closed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have to check?? can it be cleaned without removing it?

Yes, just loosen the two 10mm hoseclamps on the intake hose and slide the small vent host off the back of the intake hose, then the intake hose can be removed.

With the hose removed you can either have a helper depress the gas pedal with the key on while you look inside/clean inside, or if working alone you can leave the key off and open the throttle with one hand while cleaning with the other. Just do not force the throttle opened with the key on.

When cleaning, use a rag soaked in brake cleaner or similar evaporating solvent... do not spray into the throttle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its dirty

Lets give it a good cleaning so it is spotless inside there, again only soak a rag and wipe it out or if you have hard deposits you can use a brush followed by wiping it out. Never spray inside. Then when you are done cycle the key on, wait for the clicks under the hood to stop, then cycle off again 3 times to recalibrate.

Reconnect the intake hose completely and compare behavior.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
didn't help. still dies when the engine warms up

Thanks.

Are you able to check your fuel pressure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no someone looked at it and said it may be in the timing? the tank leaks, but has done that for a long time

Thanks. I wouldn't be worried about the tank leaking... I would double check the vapor hose behind the throttle body though to make sure that it is not reversed with the PCV hose. The PCV hose goes from the intake duct to the valve cover, and the vapor hose goes from the throttle body bracket to the firewall.

Are you able to check the timing? I take it there are no trouble codes though right (usually timing will set P0335/P0340 faults).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
at first he said a code came up for the camshaft positioning module, or crank shaft? them he said it wasn't that because it disappeared. I don't know what to think

Well that lends so credibility to it being a timing issue. Are you comfortable pulling the timing covers off for inspection?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not really. I wouldn't know where to begin. it looks like a crammed up mess. but if I would take them off, what would I be looking for?

It definitely isn't any fun.

WIth the upper covers off the faces of the cam gears have | notches in them, these need to be aligned to the V notches in the valve covers behind them. Then once lined up you can look at the crank pulley which will have a mark on it... there is a scale next to it that reads 30-15-T... it needs to be lined up to the T when the belt is on correctly.

I should add, you would want to only rotate via the crank shaft... never try to rotate the engine by the cams.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician