Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  16 years, Line Mechanic, Electronics trouble shooting, etc
1609972

Have a 2001 Mitsubishi galant. Fans aren't comming on. Have

Customer Question

Have a 2001 Mitsubishi galant. Fans aren't comming on. Have replaced temp switch thermostat hoses water pump hot wired both fans to see if they work and they do. Replaced relay. Took back to shop they did pressure test and came back fine.... I flushed system replaced all hoses the car doesn't run hot. But fans don't kick on so it starts to smoke from radiator
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.

if the engine coolant temperature reaches 230°F or higher , the radiator fan control activates the radiator fan for up to 5 minutes even after the ignition switch is turned to the "LOCK (OFF)" position

The fan stops its rotation when the engine coolant temperature decreases to 230°F or lower .

The PCM supplies a Ground to the Fan Controller thru the BLUE / ORANGE wire
The Fan Controller get Voltage from the Relay on the BLUE wire & Ground - on the BLACK wire
You need to test those wires to see if it is the PCM or the Fan Controller
The Fan Controller is mounted on the Fan
click Attachment below

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tested fuse box I get 12 volts and wire harness from the temp sensor and I get the 5 volts..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also we put new condenser fan in thinking the model was bad... still no luck

????

Please reread my response.....
Testing needs to be done at the Fan Controller on the wires I posted
You have not mentioned if you have replaced the Fan Controller or tested Ground & Voltage to the Relay

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... well I checked ground and voltage on the relay and box. That's where the 13 volts came from when ignition switch turned on.... I will check the module but I replaced the one already that came with the newer fan I got from the salvage yard.. ..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 volts not 13

If you follow the Schematic to the Fan Module, the PCM supplies the Ground to the Fan Control Module BLUE / ORANGE wire.
The BLUE wire of the Fan Control Module should have Voltage +
IF they do, then the Fan "2" wires should have Ground & Voltage +
IF the Fan Control Module has the BLUE / ORANGE (-) & BLUE (+) & no Output (-) & (+) to Fan, then the Control Module is bad