Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Once again on my 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander 2wd. I changed…

Customer Question
Good morning Doug, Once again on...
Good morning Doug,
Once again on my 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander 2wd. I changed the breaks at a local mechanic and did an oil change right before Christmas and the same day after leaving the mechanic, my car acted up. I drove and the car lost acceleration power. The check engine light flashed and the ASC OFF light stays on. Acceleration speed was less than 15 mph regardless how hard I pressed the gas pedal. Towed it to the mechanic who states has nothing to do with the repairs, car cooled off and was drivable again. After a couple days on Christmas night it did the same thing. Towed it again to same mechanic who again said was not related to the repairs. The codes pulled up are P0131-02, P2100, P00134-02, U1417, and C121C. Asked me to take it to the dealer and if I was told that it was due to the break job then he would refund me my money. Now the car has been at my neighborhood Mitsubishi dealer for over a week and they also agree that it's not related to breaks but that it is the throttle body that needs to be replaced. The codes they pulled up are P0131 025, P2100, C1210, U1417, and C1920. Can you please shed some light? I love my car and really want to continue with it as long as possible.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
2/3/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Can you provide your VIN please?

JA4MS41X47U002569

Thanks. We had a few of these that had some specific issues I wanted to make sure you were not in that production run as that would have changed things a bit.

Generally speaking the P2100 in itself will usually end up being a throttle body like they suspected, however the other codes (specifically U1417) make me a bit suspicious.

Did they perform any on-car inspection of the throttle body circuit (or was it working normally at the time)?
Do you know if they did a CAN bus test (integrated function of the dealer scan tool)?

I am not sure. I can ask the dealer.

I understand.

Here is what I would be doing if it were in my shop...

1) Do a CAN bus diagnostic on the scan tool. This is priority because of the U1417, as it is a fault indicating that the ABS coding is not being read correctly by the ETACS. If there is a problem with the ABS directly, I would verify the connections on both ends and ultimately replace the ABS if nothing is found. If there is a bus problem incorporating more than just the ABS, I would double check connections on ETACS, as they are common to come loose sometimes and will cause bus drops which would cause most of your issues. If no bus problems were found, then:
2) I would check the ETACS coding to make sure everything looks correct, then cross check it against the ABS ecu information to make sure nothing looks incorrect or corrupt (weird characters etc).
3) If nothing seems out of place, I would try re-coding the ETACS with a corporate download (They can get a new variant file from Dealer Link) in case the ETACS got corrupted somehow.
4) I would only consider replacing the throttle body after performing all these checks and verifying that there is an actual open circuit reading on the throttle body afterward.

Things worth noting.... The C1210 is a fault that is internal to the ABS ecu... so that is a strong indication that there is likely something going on with it. It is important to remember that on the ASC equipped models the ABS ecu has throttle body control, so there is a common thread there.
The C1920 is just related to the FAST key battery being weak and is not a major concern.
The P0131 is oxygen sensor related, and should be considered a last priority as it is unlikely to be related to any of the other issues, and the other issues have more potential for expense and need to be investigated first.
I did not mention it before, but there is really no way this could be related to the brake job... just bad luck/poor timing unfortunately.