Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2009 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L and the a/c is

Customer Question
I have a 2009...

I have a 2009 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L and the a/c is blowing cold on the drivers side but in the middle and passenger side vents the a/c is not as cold.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The car would blow cold air for 5 minutes then start to blow warm air in all vents. I did recharge the system the air is constantly cold now but only on the drivers side. The passenger and middle vents are not as cold

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/30/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

This is almost certain to be a charge level issue (either low on refrigerant or air mixed in from someone using "top up" cans).

When you turn the air to heat, is it consistent from left to right, the temperature is more or less the same?

It looks like we missed each other.

As long as your heat is relatively stable from left to right, we can pretty safely rule out any sort of flow issues inside the air handler... and this would put us squarely at a refrigerant charge level issue.
The reason you have issues like this when the charge level is incorrect is due to the way the evaporator lays in the system. The evaporator is on its side with both ports coming out the passenger side, and the unit sloped heavily downward to the driver side. Since the refrigerant is not forced through the core like it would be if the ports were on opposite ends, if there is any discrepancy with the charge level what happens is a pocket develops inside the core, and the weight of the refrigerant favors the lower side of the core. This results in one side being very noticeably cooler than the other.

I understand you've done some charging on the system already, which means either we already know there is a leak somewhere if you confirmed it was low, or if you just suspected it and added then we know the charge level is incorrect regardless. This system can not be just randomly added to effectively unfortunately; in addition to being very specific about charge (with a rough charge of 500-550 grams, as little as 10-15% off will cause problems and there is no way to be that accurate manually charging), if the system was not evacuated and vacuumed/boiled before charging then refrigerant was just added on top of displaced air anyway... very moisture heavy displaced air at that... which would make the system extremely difficult to work properly even if it was charged exactly right.
Moving forward... get the system fully evacuated and vacuum it to 30inHg for at least a half hour to boil off any moisture. Then use a machine charge to make sure the exactly correct charge is installed, preferably with some dye so it can be checked for leaks later (there are a few very common leak points on this model and that will help identify them if needed).

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician