Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

We have a 1997 3000gt sl 3.0 that is blowing the taillight

Customer Question
hello we have a 1997 3000gt...
hello
we have a 1997 3000gt sl 3.0 that is blowing the taillight fuse when turning on the headlights. I pulled the positive off the battery terminal and put a test light between the post and the terminal. I am finding that the room 10 amp fuse is the one that keeps the test light to stay on. Once the room fuse is pulled I can turn the headlights on without a short per say. I am at a loss as to where to look as the manuels for the cars is not very easy to read
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/25/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

hello my name is ***** ***** will be helping you today if the fuse keeps blowing you have a short in the tail light wiring harness

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is the best way to locate this
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The aftermarket alarm was tied into I believe 3-4 wires under the dash. I snipped them and they are not touching anything
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found a diagram for From 1995 Models and it appears the front turn signals, license plate wires, rear combo lights, Auto cruise control, cigarette lighter, heater, radio, full auto A/C are all on that 15 amp turn signal in near the air intake fuse box
Mitsubishi Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You have a short to ground on the park lamp circuit somewhere. The short may be anywhere between the fuse and any of the lights - the front and rear park lamps, and license plate lamps. The problem may be a pinch or rub through, degraded insulation or the insulation could be melted.

A visual inspection of wiring can be done but if nothing is found then the circuit will most likely need to be broken up to determine what leg the short is in and concentrate on that part of the circuit. The wire in question is green/white.

If you have trailer wiring that would be the first place I would recommend inspecting. Trailer wiring often will rub through and short to ground because of incorrect routing, wiring can melt against exhaust components, or the short could develop right in the connector itself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just ordered up a short detector, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RH6JP6/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=I am going to try and follow the lines and unplug the various plugs I can to see if the short goes away. I am sick of burning up fuses and found a video that really shows the usefullness of the set. I just hope I can understand the bad schematics that where put out for this car.

Let me know how it goes!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I spent over an hour chasing wires, the short goes toward the firewall from the relay box, it goes inside the car by the glove box, under and across the dash board, it then goes to the large white plug on the seat side of the fuse panel under the dash. When I unplug the large white plug the short is gone, when I plug it back in the short exists, so I am assuming the short is after the fuse panel, but the tracer follows and shows the short going out the front fender and up to the radiator and runs across to the passenger side and then back up to the relay panel. It seems to be a loop or something.

This device is supposed to show the actual location of the short, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it shows the direction, it will end up going left or right and you can trace down the short.

You're not able to find an area where the needle stops moving though? That's where the short will be if this actually works.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the only way I can make the needle not move and the circuit to quit shorting is by pulling the large white plug off the underdash fuse box. if it is plugged in the short detector keeps showing it going back out the firewall, to the front of the car, then to each blinker, headlight, fog light, and then back to the fuse/replay panel. Is there a way to find out what is all on the large plug I pull to make the short go away.

The needle should stop moving when the area of the short is found. It is supposed to continue moving until you find the short and then it will stop. If you've been over the whole harness with it and can't find a place that will stop the needle from moving then it isn't working.

Do you have the bulbs unplugged?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician