Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ok so ive been working on my 88 mighty max 3 weeks. It just…

Customer Question
Ok so ive been working...
Ok so ive been working on my 88 mighty max for about 3 weeks. It just would not start one morning. Traced it to the fuel pump and replaced it. Im still having the same issue with it wanting to start (sometimes it will and will run for 2-3 seconds). I left the truck in the on position so the pump would do its job and get gas flowing and after about 30 mins i cranked it up and it ran for about 15 seconds im guessing the pump pumped enough for it to run for that amount of time and then it died back out and went back to the same issue. The new fuel pump has a continuous clicking coming from it and when I lifted the hood to see if gas was being pumped into the carb i heard the clicking from there too but it sounded like it was coming from the distributor but i have no clue how that would even go together.
My theory is the pump is not getting enough power to pump enough gas through to keep the truck running. The filter is directly after the gas tank then leads to the pump. I unhooked the out side of the pump and gas IS flowing nicely.Ive been told this truck does not have a fuel pump relay so what could be causing this ?
Before i switched the pumps my carb was bone dry and now you can tell gas has made it to the carb . . . which brings me back to thinking its just not pumping enough.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/20/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are having sound like you are still having a fuel pressure concern. Can you install a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring? The voltage at the pump should be battery voltage. Take your volt mete and check for battery voltage and the ground at the pump with the pump running. Check this for me and post back and we can work from there.