Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 98 Montero (not sport) and had an mechanic in the…

Customer Question
Hi Doug, I have...

Hi Doug, I have a 98 Montero (not sport) and had an idiot mechanic in the Ozarks replace timing, plugs etc. for routine mtnc. and it has not run since! Took it to another good ol boy who took it apart and said he had the timing teeth off and a couple of other things. this guy put it back right but it won't run good and smells like rotten eggs. he thought it was the catyletic converter...no way its brand new and the rig ran great before I tried to help it...only thing left is the computer. what do you suggest? should I pull the ecu and have it checked somewhere? nearenst dealer is 3 hrs away. thx, Pete

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Just did

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mitsubishi Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/19/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Pete,

Do we know exactly how far off the timing was? This is a valve bender if you are off more than a few teeth.

non conflicting valves

Can you get a compression test and see where we are there?

all that is good...it's not mechanical. I am asking about the computer

The computer won't cause the symptoms you have normally. They will fail catastrophically and lose ability to run entirely, but for conditions where you are getting odors while driving and poor running condition this is not consistent with any computer failures on this particular model (or even most Mitsubishis in general).

Please let me know if you need further assistance.