Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor we first changed the valve…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 2006...
Hi I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor we first changed the valve cover gasket and spark plugs then went to start the car and nothing! Now we threw a P0340 or whatever the code is for camshaft sensor, replaced it, replaced crankshaft sensor, and bought a new battery and the car still won't crank. We have the normal tick tick tick when you go I start it and some humming noise coming from the throttle body. We are just stumped on this!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/17/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

The humming is normal as is the initial clicking, that is throttle body and normal behavior.

Since changing the two sensors did the codes change at all?

Can you reinstall the original cam sensor and clear the code again (aftermarket cam sensors almost never work on these trucks)?

Codes stopped appearing but car still never cranked. We are installing the original can sensor again.
Okay installed clearing codes now, what's next

Thanks.

With it cleared let's crank it again extensively and see if it our a different fault comes on.

In the mean time, were any bolts or nuts etc lost during the valve cover job?

Nothing was lost, code P0340

Thanks.

Let's check the wiring right off the cam sensor... Nothing for stretched or pinched right?

Before all this happened the fist code I was throwing was for my EGR
No everything is fine on sensor

The engine was running fine prior to this all taking place though right?

Correct

Please take the oil cap off and have a helper crank the engine while you watch in the oil fill hole. Can you see the rocker arms moving?

Great.

Please unplug the cam sensor and measure the voltage between battery negative and each pin of the sensor connector with the key on. Let me know what you find.

11.3 on red nothing else
5volts on blue and yellow
That's it

Great.

Please plug the cam sensor back in and back probe the 5v wire.

in this state use a 22mm socket on the crank bolt and rotate the engine clock wise (do not use the starter). What behavior do you see from the 5v wire?

Something weird is making a noise
5v

The 5v does not change?

Where are you hearing this noise?

No, sounds in the area of transmission. Only when turning the crank. Ticking noise almost

Thanks... This is definitely a concern. Let's pull that valve cover back off and make sure the entire cam is turning.

Okay they moved the noise was coming from inside the head almost like a hissing noise.

Thanks. The hissing is just compression that is okay.

As strange as it would be to have a sensor just fail while doing this job, it appears that is the case.

We verified the source 12V and reference 5V are both present, yet rotating the anti new shows no on/off pulse from the 5V line. We verified upper engine movement and no problem with the cam preventing the cam reluctor from turning.

That only leaves the sensor itself to be at fault for no signal out of that 5V wire.

Get a new genuine Mitsubishi sensor on there and you should be good to go. No exceptions here with the source of the sensor... If it isn't purchased directly from a dealership, it is not trustworthy on this model. The cheap Chinese sensors the auto parts stores sell (including the ones places like O'Reilly sell and swear they are real) do not work.

Okay so I need to purchase just a can shaft sensor and try that?
Cam

As far as I can see that's all you should need. Your 12V and 5V signals are there but they're is no change on the 5V wire while the engine turns and you confirmed the upper engine is turning, cam is rotating all the way across. That only leaves the sensor itself.

Okay so after that is replaced I should be getting enough spark from everything else to crank over

That will take care of your p0340 issue... Once that is resolved your fuel and spark etc will go back to normal.

Okay thank you. Will try to get part ordered tomorrow and go from there

You're welcome!!

Just to double check, should the 5v pwr on the crankshaft position sensor change during rotation?

Yes, both the cam and crank sensor 5V signals will pulse on and off as the engine is rotated by hand. This is with the sensor plugged in and the 5V wire back probed just like we did with the cam sensor.

Is the voltage sporadic while turning the engine or on/off

Not sporadic at all... When rotating by hand it is very clearly defined 0v-5v-0v-5v.

Ok, thanks for the information

You're welcome!

Hi I've now put in the Mitsubishi cam sensor and car still
Won't crank over. Any other suggestions?

Please re-check your cam sensor signal... do you still have no pulse, or do you have 5-0-5-0 behavior now?
If you still have no pulse, then you need to recheck there is rotation at the cam sensor... perhaps take the sensor out and watch in the hole for movement.

If there is pulse now, then we corrected that issue but there is still something else in play we need to work on.

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician