Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

,, I have a 2001 hyundai accent. I am having a problem…

Customer Question
Doug, I have a...

Doug, I have a 2001 hyundai accent. I am having a problem getting removing the rocker arm assembly. I have removed all of the flange bolts, but the rocker arms will not come off. Every manual shows the rocker arm assembly lifting right out of the channel on top of the head. I tried prying on the rocker arm shaft with no luck. I know that Hyundai used the old Mitsubishi technology. Is their a trick to removing the rocker arm assembly? Don

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mitsubishi Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/16/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

I'm sorry if you get this twice, I typed a long response and apparently it did not go through.

On the Mitsubishi design rocker shafts they usually have 5 bolts each then just lift off, however they do tighten down on these wedge-like piece of metal to distribute the force that sometimes cause it to stick. If you have all the bolts out, have you tried tapping the shaft with a rubber mallet to try to jar it loose?

I tried all of that. It appears that one side of the shaft is bigger than the other. The wedge-like channel is smaller on the ends towards the top of the wedge, meaning that their is not enough clearance to lift the shaft straight out of the channel. Can the ends of the shaft be removed somehow allowing more clearance.

When I remove these I leave the wedge and bolt all installed and just lift the assembly out without issue.

Can you get a photo of what you are seeing? Perhaps it is a slightly modified version of what Mitsubishi uses.

I will take a photo and send it to you.

Thanks

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician