Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My daughter let our 2005 Endeavor run out of oil. We've

Customer Question

My daughter let our 2005 Endeavor run out of oil. We've changed the oil and battery. When we try to start the car -- no go. The battery and oil light are on . Is there a reset oil switch ? Just hoping I don't have to have the car towed
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

There is no reset switch or anything like that unfortunately.

Was it run completely out of oil, like you had to add 5 quarts to get a good reading, or just run so low it didn't register on the dip stick?

When you turn the key to start, does it crank and not start, or does it not crank the engine either (solid clunk, hum, no response etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wasn't completely dry but pretty low. It cranks but doesn't turn over. What's your thought about the battery and oil light being on ?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks... that is a good sign anyway, at least it is not locked up.

The battery and oil light are only slightly interesting... the battery light is going to stay on any time the system voltage is below roughly 12.7-13V. So that is no real surprise that it is on since the engine isn't running. The oil light will stay on any time the oil pressure switch is not showing substantial pressure. While the cranking of the engine will build pressure, it is not always enough to turn the light out... it often needs to actually "run".

How does the engine sound when you crank it? Just like usual, faster than normal, slower than normal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just sounds like it wants to turn over but just can't quite get there. I'm just afraid to really crank it for more than a few seconds.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Understandable. If it is related to low oil, nothing you are going to do cranking it will worsen the condition any. However if it is unrelated that would be another matter.
Are you able to check for spark or compression, or look in the oil fill hole to make sure the top end of the engine is turning when you crank it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. We are going to look in the oil fill hole and I'll tell you what we see
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep the top end of the engine is turning. Any other suggestions ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it looks like something is happening-- obviously I'm no mechanic
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I apologize, I lost my internet connection there briefly.
With the top end moving that is another very good sign, as that means the timing belt did not strip out/break.

Is there any change in condition when you hold the gas pedal down while cranking for 3-4 seconds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HELLO
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Is there any change in condition if you hold the gas pedal down and crank for 3-4 seconds (sounds more like it wants to catch versus no change at all etc)?