Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Replaced battery now Won't start

Customer Question
Replaced battery now Won't start
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/10/2016
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Was it the engine battery or key battery that was replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Engine battery.. I do have a chip in my key which I believe has to do with the car not starting. I had to start it a particular
Way years ago after getting a new battery but I don't recall how

The chip in the key should not be affected by the engine battery being changed normally.

When you try to start the engine, it cracks but does not start, or does it not crank either?

If it cranks but doesn't start, does it sound abnormal (faster or slower than normal)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It just turns over it doesn't start
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It started fine prior to the battery replacement

Thanks.

When you turn the key on does the service engine soon light still do it's bulb test?

Are there any other electrical malfunctions you can see?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I turned my
Car key and engine service light on as well as a few other things like oil light brake light . I see nothing else
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think it may be a anti theft thing from changing battery
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a way to start ther car to read the cars computer I just don't know how

Thanks.
The vehicle has two factory security systems.... the immobilizer in the key which causes the fuel to cut if it does not match (and is RFID based, completely independent of the battery) and the wireless system that simply sounds the horn and lights when tripped. Neither should be impacted by the battery being disconnected unless there is an add-on module.
That said... to disarm it you would only either use the button on the key or use the key to unlock the drivers door twice. Those are the over ride measures for the factory system.

Do you have a second key you could try for comparison? Do you have a test light or meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The key I have is only for starting Bc it was never programmed for unlocking and locking

No problem, and no second key then I take it?
How about a meter or test light?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No second key and I'm not familiar with a test
Light

I understand.

Lets take a visual inspection of your larger fusible links... these are the bigger fuses under the hood in the fuse box and specifically the one hanging off the positive battery post. Lets look to see if any of these are visibly broken (you can look through the window on the top of each). Also lets double check if you disassembled the positive battery terminal that all cables got reattached.

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician