Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2002 mitsubishi eclipse, the battery grounded out

Customer Question

I have a 2002 mitsubishi eclipse, the battery grounded out on the hood a burned some wires, All have been replaced/repaired/inspected! the computer is talking to the code reader, no codes, fuel pressure is good, injectors are firing, I have no spark, I have replaced the distributor twice with a brand new one, no change, all the signaling to the distributor appears to be fine. I even picked a junk yard distributor up, installed it, it gave me a code of P340, so I think the circuitry to the computer is ok, dealership say nothing wrong with the computer. I suspect maybe the anti theft system has disabled the ignition.???? please help
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked power to the ignition system with the key on and cranking?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The reason I ask is because the distributor needs to have power in order to produce spark. The red wire comes from the MAIN relay and should have power while cranking and the black/white wire should also have power on it while cranking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2003 Mitsubishi eclipse V6-3.0L, manual transmission.Car ran with no issues until batter grounded out on the hood.1. Inspected wiring harness and repair all damaged wires, including the engine compartment and dash
2. Symptom is a crank no start.
3. Have replace with junk yard parts, computer, door lock, ignition and immobilizer, no change
4. Have normal-ed that back up, took to dealership which said the computer was fine, the distributor was bad.
5. Have replaced the distributor twice with new from advance auto, and one with a junkyard distributor, no change
6. Code reader has to codes, unless I unplug things and run it?
7. Injectors are firing, can hear the fuel pump kick in, dome lights work, wipers work, can hear the door locks work!
8. Have tried to reset the alarm system ETACS module by pulling the fuses in the yellow holder, plugging them back in, unlocking twice with the hood closed, no change, crank no start!
9 . have inspected all fuses and moved/swapped around all relays under the hood and in the dash, No luck
10. Starting fluid has no affect. still no codes!How do you check the power to the ignition system with the key on and cranking?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. You can use a test light or a voltmeter to check for power at the distributor with the key on and cranking.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Also, the crankshaft position sensor should get battery voltage from the MAIN relay while cranking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2. Symptom is a crank no start.
10. Starting fluid has no affect. still no codes!How do you check the power to the ignition system with the key on and cranking?Which wire would that be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2. Symptom is a crank no start.
10. Starting fluid has no affect. still no codes!How do you check the power to the ignition system with the key on and cranking?Which wire would that be?Have I missed anything?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

YES, you need to check for power at the distributor. Red wire and black/white wire

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Also, if the valve timing is off, it can cause a no spark condition.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Also, Verify the crankshaft timing ring has not been damaged during the timing belt repair.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The timing belt drive sprocket is not pressed on the crankshaft. If the sprocket slides forward on the crankshaft during a timing belt replacement, it is possible that the sensor blade for the crank sensor may fall off of the sprocket and turn. This causes the Crank Position Sensor and Cam Position Sensor signals to be out of sync even though the marks all line up

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2. Symptom is a crank no start.
With the key to the on position, I have a solid light with my trouble light on both the black and white wire and the red wire?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thats good. Now we need to check for power down at the crank sensor with the key on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2. Symptom is a crank no start.
10. Starting fluid has no affect. still no codes!How do you check the power to the ignition system with the key on and cranking?Which wire would that be ?
Have I missed anything?
With the key to the on position, I have a solid light with my trouble light on both the black and white wire and the red wire?ok, I found what believe to be the connector to the crank sensor, the sensor connector has a blue, red and black wire, the harness side has a green/red, brown, and a red, both side of the red have power, nothing on the others?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then the crank sensor has power if the red wire going to it has power. I would suspect a valve timing issue at this point

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Please let me know and I will be happy to help!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Amedee,
our last session dropped and I never got a response, Her is what I typed:
1. Crank sensor has power to the connector
2. Code reader reads RPM during cranking, between 100 - 200 rpm.
3. I don't suspect the crank sensor at this time
3. Schematics show power transistor in box with the distributor, power transistor is actually the ignition module.
4. If this is bad then wouldn't it give me the same indications, no start/no spark?
5. Was able to google an image, get a part number and pull it up at autozone, no one can tell me where it is located
6. Where is it located? and is there a test procedure for troubleshooting it?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! YES, this power transistor can be bad. It is inside the distributor assembly. Sometimes it is built into the ignition coil. You are going to want to follow the wires coming into the distributor on pins 3 and 4 (black wire with blue stripe and a black wire). These wires go directly to the power transistor.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Here is a wiring diagram.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Amedee,
We have put three new distributors in the car , basically no change, I currently have one out of a junk yard car in it, no change.
1. I googled a image of the power transistor on the web, got a part number from the image, ran the part number at autozone, and they carry it, it appears to be the same part, how ever I can't find it?
2. Schematics show it as part of the distributor!! I don't believe I have power to the coils which are in the distributor?
a. Crank sensor has power, I show the RPMs moving 100 - 200 RPM when cranking on the scan tool
b. Cam sensor has to be working since it is pulsing the injectors, it is in the distributor, and if I unplug the distributor it throws a code P304 I believe. So it is talking to the computer! "No Spark"
c. with everything plugged in No Codes on the code reader, I have Crank No start, I can't find this Ignition module so I am confused. here is a link to the image I had auto zone check: https://www.google.com/search?q=power+transistor,+2003+mitsubishi+eclipse&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjzqK8mZvKAhUM5mMKHaQQC7QQ_AUICCgC&biw=1246&bih=771#tbm=isch&q=power+transistor%2C+2003+mitsubishi+eclipse+v6&imgrc=FJmzNxM0_YZIHM%3A
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Maybe we should speak on the phone. It would be much easier for both of us.