Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Alright I took in car on Saturday, going in the car drove

Customer Question

Hello. Alright I took in car for oil on Saturday, going in the car drove find now if I put it on drive its stays on neutral even goes backwards. I want to know what I'm dealing with
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Can you please check both the engine oil and the transmission fluid (both dipsticks are on the driver side of the engine)?

It is very common for some places to drain the transmission by accident, resulting in no fluid in the transmission and over filled engine oil.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

It looks like we missed each other. If you can, check your fluid levels for both the engine and the transmission first.... it is most likely that they drained the transmission in error (very common on this model) then added oil, resulting in the transmission being several quarts low and the engine likely over filled.
Given the order of events with the vehicle operating fine prior to the oil change, this is the most likely scenario.
If the fluid levels are both correct (transmission checked while running), then we would want to verify the shift cable on the left side of the transmission under the vehicle is not damaged somehow, perhaps preventing a full range of motion. If nothing unusual is found there then we would need to get it on a scan tool and verify your switch/sensor readings to try to figure out what is going on.

Again given the order of events and it working fine on the way in to get the oil change, it is likely they just goofed up on the oil change and drained the transmission.