Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My 04 Mitsubishi endeavor idles down then shuts off when

Customer Question

Hi Doug, my 04 Mitsubishi endeavor idles down then shuts off when engine is warm. I replaced 02 sensor due to earlier code. When I uplug maf sensor it runs. I cleared codes after replacing 02 sensor and no new codes are coming up till I unplug the maf sensor. This is also my second Maf sensor. When replaced the first time it worked fine for a while then did the same as above then when replaced again it was fine till now. Can it just be another bad Maf sensor or some underlining issuse causing the problem?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

With regard to the MAF sensor, was it a new Mitsubishi (from a dealer) sensor you replaced it with, or an aftermarket (this includes ones bought from places like OReilly claiming it is genuine)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it at napa they said it was OEM. it is a DELPHI AF10203 01015
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

These vehicles are particularly sensitive about aftermarket sensors and we may have worsened the condition by putting that on there. There is no factory replacement available outside of a Mitsubishi dealer, Mitsubishi will not ship these parts to other retailers, no exception.

Is the old sensor still available to reinstall?

What are your long term and short term fuel trims looking like when idling and while driving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have the old MAF anymore. I can get back to you about the trim levels. Ill call the dealership for a new MAF if you think that will do the trick?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Well my concern was more that the new MAF may have introduced an issue as we see that a lot. Having had the condition change briefly when you had it replaced, and then it got worse again... that is a strong indicator that the replacement had a problem.
I'm not sold on the MAF being the issue, though we do see them fail a good bit. Seeing what the fuel trims say may help steer us toward or away from that though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You think i should hold off from getting the MAF from the dealer until other issuses can be ruled out?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

If you can return the NAPA one, I would go ahead and get the right one. If you are stuck with the NAPA one, lets see the trims before we make any decision... though if history is any indicator, we will very likely still need to get a stock one back in there.