Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 2002 Colt Rodeo (South Africa). I haven't used the

Customer Question

Hi Doug, I have a 2002 Colt Rodeo (South Africa). I haven't used the sunroof before and was just trying to clean it. I opened it, cleaned the tracks then it wouldn't close again. Beside the open and close button, there are also 3 smaller buttons on the panel (1, 2, and C). Thanks for any help
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

I am not aware of anything with 1-2-C buttons, but they should not be any relation to the sunroof that I can imagine. Perhaps if you can get a photo of them that might stir my memory a bit.

With regard to the sunroof operation, if it moved normally on the way opened without any sluggishness or hesitation etc, but when you go to close it there is zero response, your only real expectations here are a problem with the switch or the fuse being blown.

Before doing anything else I would check over all of the fuses, both in dash and under bonnet and make sure none are blown. If the fuses are all intact I would expect the roof switch is faulty and requiring replacement. Those are the only scenarios I could see where it would open fully normally then have no response whatsoever trying to close. If the motor were bad it would hum or tick or even try to budge when you pushed the switch, as well it likely would have crawled to a stop when opening too. If there were a problem in the track you would still get audible response from the motor etc. Further if you had any wiring issues you would usually expect to have a problem opening too. Only the fuse and switch would be expected to completely stop operation entirely like that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses are ok. Do I have to take the headliner off to check the switch? I will take a photo of the assembly tomorrow when I get my camera back. The small 1,2,C buttons are on the same assembly as the open/close buttons.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Yeah a photo will likely help, as I can't recall seeing those buttons on this model before. The headliner does not need to be removed to get to the switch; there are two designs here one where the switch panel just pops out and another where there is a hidden screw behind an integrated dome light lens.

Once I see the design you have it will be more clear, and if you can provide your VIN/chassis number it will help as well as I should be able to pull up the build sheet on it in a few hours.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks Doug. I'll get the photo tomorrow and send to you (a friend has my camera now and my phone didn't take a good photo.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good