Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I am having erratic idle issues and engine stalls with my

Customer Question

I am having erratic idle issues and engine stalls with my 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer MX-E Trim, CS2A, Japan, Engine 4G15 GDI DOHC, CVT Transmission.
This problem started about a month ago and is getting worse daily. First, on cold morning start, the engine will sometimes sputters and shuts off and sometimes starts OK. Then sometimes the idle RPM will be as high as 2000 RPM and sometimes low as 400 RPM. Now, for the past week, the engine makes loud knocking sounds and stalls completely with the A/C on and car is standstill or when I try to accelerate from standstill.
The mechanic replaced the spark plugs and ignition coils. Cleaned intake manifold, MAF Sensor and Throttle Body with no improvements.
The mechanic is saying the engine is losing compression and I should replace the engine.
This is very expensive and I am totally frustrated. Can you assist me with your professional expertise. Thanks
Frustrated...
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Was the compression diagnosis speculation or was the compression actually tested and verified low? If it was tested and verified low you would have these issues and it is true that replacement (or overhaul) would be necessary moving forward.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for the reply.
The mechanic's diagnosis was based on speculation and no actual compression tests were done. I will have to arrange for this test tomorrow.Thanks,
Kelvin
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

No problem, would you like to regroup tomorrow after we have some hard numbers to work with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Doug,Will try to get this done after work and will let you know the results.Kelvin
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome