Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

I have a 1995 Mitsubishi eclipse nonturbo It will shut off

Customer Question
I have a 1995 Mitsubishi...
I have a 1995 Mitsubishi eclipse nonturbo
It will shut off as I'm driving, I'll cycle key from on back to accessories then back and and It will pick up again and run fun for a bit then the same thing will happen. I need help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
11/17/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this may be a possible fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen several ignition switch failures in the past before with the switch needing replaced to correct faults like this here.If you can I would have the ignition switch signals checked when the vehicle is acting up to see if the switch needs replaced.The switch failure can be common on several models and cause an intermittent loss of power signal causing this here.

If this was already tested or replaced and found not to be the issue here let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Once it shuts off and turns back on I can smell fuel. I don't know if this from shutting off or if it has a fuel leak. Besides ignition system could it be the timing chain that would cause this?

The fuel smell is most likely from the sudden stall out as fuel can be left in the engine cylinders when the shut down occurs causing this smell.

Besides the ignition switch itself if this model uses a crank position sensor (as most do) if this sensor is acting up intermittently this will cause this as well as a failing ignition control module.

I don't see this as a timing issue here as this would cause a stall out and no start at all if this was a timing issue or timing component fault.

Thanks Pete

Should I change both the ignition switch and the crank position sensor? I was leaning towards the fuel pump sending unit but now I will check these two hopefully today. Will I need to get any specialty tools.

I don't see this as a fuel sender or pump issue as usually if this was the cause it would cause the stall out but a no start.

If it were mine I would start with the crank position sensor.It is located above the engine oil filter in the engine block and held in place with one bolt.It shouldn't be to difficult to remove and replace.

If this replaced and doesn't correct this issue here I would have the ignition switch tested to see if it needs replaced.

Thanks Pete

Ok thank you. I won't need to get anything timed orvwhayever if I change that sensor?

Nothing would need times it would be a simple remove and replace procedure.

Thanks. Pete

What all would I have to do to change the ignition?

Usually the steering column covers need removed as the switch is attached to the back of the ignition cylinder or to the side of the ignition cylinder in most cases.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician