Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

2008 Mitsubishi convertible rear bow is up in air and will

Customer Question
not come down. top will...
2008 Mitsubishi convertible rear bow is up in air and will not come down. top will fold down all the way and boot will cover top. help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mitsubishi
11/10/2015
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Am I understanding correctly that you can fully retract the top without issue, but when you try to close the top it reaches the point where the roof is extended to the windshield, the 5th bow is up, the tonneau is down, and it won't drop the 5th bow?

correct
Top folds down correct but tops rear bow is stuck on stupid. thanks
I have contacted the dealer but there tech want be back in till Monday.

Thanks.

In this instance it is nearly certain you are going to have a sticking switch on the rear latch panel. The rear latch panel is the vertical panel mounted directly against the back seat area that the two tonneau strikers attach to.

Under normal operation, the top simply moves straight through a series of motions checking to see if each switch along the way is in the correct position to proceed to the next step. With it stopping with the tonneau down and 5th bow up, yet retracting all the way normally, this really only leaves the latch panel as your suspect.

To verify 100% you would need a topstack compatible scan tool to read the switch inputs as it moves, however there is a quick check you can do that has often useful results.

Open the tonneau (you can either just open the tonneau or retract the top fully but stop with the tonneau up) and then turn the key off so the top ecu doesn't time out.

Looking at the back seat you will see the two latches where the tonneau locks in. Looking carefully at them you will see a black plastic lever in front of each... this is the switch lever that tells the ecu the tonneau is down all the way and allowed to drop the 5th bow.

Spray some WD40 in both latches to saturate the switch area, then use your finger to work the plastic lever on/off multiple times vigorously. This will often free a sticking switch.

Once satisfied, check operation again and see if it is resolved.

Note that this is not a permanent fix.... if the latch panel switch stuck like it definitely sounds like, the latch panel will require replacement (or if you have an electronics supply near you then you may be able to match up the cherry switch with a replacement.... from Mitsubishi you can only get the whole panel though).

there is no plastic plastic elver on the passenger side the one on the drivers side is working freely it does have a clicking on drivers side.

If there is only one, you already have the updated panel (They dropped to a single switch after mid production 2007, so 2008s are 50/50).
Go ahead and do the same procedure anyway on the one lever... note that the clicking and free movement is not indicative of anything, when these fail they do not show any symptoms other than stopping before the 5th bow can drop.

If there is no change you will be forced to get it on a scan tool to find out what switch is not operating... again it is extremely likely it will be the latch switch though. In the interim you can close the top manually by accessing the manual valve in the storage bin (passenger side of the top storage area) and loosening it, this will free the hydraulic lines and allow you to manually shut the tonneau and 5th bow. To latch them you will need to use the top tool in the rear speaker grill to manually operate the three locks (one over the speaker, one in each B pillar area... the owners manual will have instructions with photos to help out).

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician