Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I guess this sounds like something loose knocking under the

Customer Question

hey Doug I guess this sounds like something loose knocking under the car sometimes when I'm on the hill side parked and I don't put the emergency brake on can I shift the car into gear I hear it also when I hit certain bumps I can also hear itkind of sounds
like a rod bearing but I don't think it isany ideas? 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Is the knocking sound random/sporadic or is it rhythmic in time with the engine running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it happens sometimes on its own when I'm hitting little bumps also when I start the car and when I turn it off
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

It is random like something loose though, not a steady knock like something in the engine turning at engine speed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's not study at all it mostly happens when I start the car and when I turn it off
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Hmm..... looking underneath the front end, check the heat shield on the exhaust pipes, particularly where they are close to the engine and close to the steering rack. Are any loose or rusty? You can use a block of wood or rubber mallet to tap them.